Incline Railway Of The Lookout MountainCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
Wondering what is the most fun thing to do in Chattanooga? Aboard the incline’s trolley-style cars and take a tour through the scenic beauty of the historic Lookout Mountain, the surrounding mountains and valleys from the windows of the train as the trolley car running on the 72.7% grade of track takes you in the cloud. Yes! The track is that steep and is said to be the steepest passenger railway of the world. The top station of this Incline Railway lets you get the best panoramic view of the Tennessee Valley from the free observation deck. From the station, you can walk a while and see the many historical points related to the Civil War. For instance, Battles of Chattanooga Electric Map & Museum and Point Park and Centennial Photo Exhibit can be visited from the top station.
Hence, if you wish to enjoy the eternal beauty of Chattanooga, take a ride on this ‘America’s most amazing mile’.
- The timings are subject to change without notice.
- Ample parking lot at the St. Elmo Station.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Electric wheelchairs are not permitted because of limited space and the design of the Incline railcar. Manual wheel chairs are permitted but must be folded and carried onto the Incline car.
- Children (3-12) - $7
- Children (2 years and under) –free
- Seniors (65 and above) - $7.50
- Discount Triple Play (includes Ruby falls, Rock city, Incline Railway) - $48.90 (adults), $25.90 (children 3-12)
- Group rates - $11.20 (adults), $5.60(children 3-12)
- Given timing is for the stations from Monday to Sunday.
- Jan - Feb :- 10am - 6pm
- Mar – May :- 9am - 6pm (weekdays); 9am - 7pm ( weekends)
- Aug 9th (Memorial Day):- 8:30am - 9:30pm
- Aug 10th ( Labor Day):- 9am - 7pm (weekdays), 9am - 9:30pm (weekends)
- Sep 7 - Nov 1 :- 9am - 6pm(weekdays); 9am - 7pm(weekends)
- Nov – Dec :- 10am - 6pm
- Last Round Trip is one hour prior to closing time.
- By car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chattanooga before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chattanooga and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Chattanooga include Incline Railway Of The Lookout Mountain in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
41.31% of people start their Incline Railway Of The Lookout Mountain visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Incline Railway Of The Lookout Mountain
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Incline Railway Of The Lookout Mountain
What a pleasant surprise! What looks to be a leisurely stroll up the mountain was actually a full adventure with some of the best views in Chattanooga! Once you reach the top take the time for the short walk down to Point Park. For a few more dollars you can enjoy so many more great views of Chattanooga and the river gorge!
What a great experience! Good for families, couples and even handicap accessible! Homemade fudge in the mountaintop gift store. Friendly staff all the way around and the views speak for themself! Prices were affordable.
Had a great time on this incline railway. Seeing the historic route and sites was real nice. Once at top it is neat to just walk around and explore
This is so much fun! A little scary for people that don't like hides the view is incredible I've never experienced anything like this definitely not your average train ride once you make it to the top hang out a while there is so much to see!! Check out Ruby Falls while your here !
This is awesome! It's a historic landmark and railway used for different reasons back in the late 1900's. It was once used for transportation of school kids who lived atop the mountain, and attended school in the valley. It's a very beautiful and scenic trip from the bottom to the top, and back down. The car you ride on has a glass top, so you are able to view the surrounding area and the beautiful scenery. This is a must, and is enjoyable by all who ride it. The steep incline really is steep and gives you a rush of excitement when raising higher and higher atop the incline. A must do!