Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Chennai
About Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Chennai
Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Chennai - Address, Phone Number
Address: GST Road, Vandalur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600048
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 15.7K times in trip plans
Park, Zoo, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Slap on some sunscreen and head out to the Arignar Anna Zoological Park, or VandalurZoo as it’s commonly known. Created in 1855, it was India’s first ever zoo and is home to 2,553 species of flora and fauna. Spread over a massive 1,265 acres of dry, evergreen forests, the animals are housed in specially created open, wet and dry, island type enclosures with hidden walls. These enclosures mimic the natural habitats of these animals, birds and reptiles. The park is located in Vandalur, about 15 kilometers from Chennai Airport. If you look at the eastern or western most parts of the park, you will be greeted by the clear waters of the Hassan and Otteri lakes. Taking a trip to this park is literally wild fun and a great way for children and adults alike to explore nature and see animals in their natural environment.
The zoo has more than 100 exhibits of different kinds of mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles. A few of the zoos inhabitants are barking deer, jaguars, baboons, otters, bears, giraffes, lemurs, vultures, emu and cassowary to name just a few. The park contains 138 species of plants, including a eucalyptus tree. By taking a walk through the forest, you’re bound to see at groups of glittering butterflies colouring the sky as the dense vegetation is home to 56 different species of the insect. You can explore the safari parks and study animals in their natural environment.
Different lion, deer and elephant parks offer you a chance to witness these beautiful beasts coexisting in their respective parks. There are two aviaries, where flamingos, seagulls, painted storks, night herons, teals, and storks can be seen between October and February every year. There’s also a lusciously green walk through aviary, home to 150 birds of 13 different species. You can walk through and see the explosion of colours that are these exotic birds, such as the kingfisher, red-whiskered bulbul, peacocks and partridges as well as shiny, slinky reptiles and amphibians. A crocodile house is sure to thrill, with the sly looking reptiles leering out from under the surface of the waters behind their enclosures. A serpentarium includes around 104 snakes, including cobras, which are kept in an air conditioned environment complete with a hot spot. A shark shaped aquarium at the zoo houses 31 species of fresh water fish.
At the entrance visitors are screened and are not allowed to take snacks and food inside the zoo, however milk and biscuits are allowed if accompanied by small children. Cycles are available for hire and there are many coaches available for visitors who prefer not to walk. A hospital for animals that have been rescued from the wild and also to treat sick animals from the zoo is set up in the area. It’s advisable to set foot into the zoo early in the morning so as to evade the sun which can make one feel warm and tired.
Arignar Anna Zoological Park Information
- Cycles are available for hire and there are many coaches available for visitors who prefer not to walk.
- A lion safari is available! Don’t miss it.
- The nocturnal birds are a sight to see. You walk into a dark enclosure and get to see the nocturnal creatures.
- A lot to walk, so it’s quite hectic a journey.
- Can be very tiring in the heat.
- Try to avoid the heat and visit the museum on a nice, cloudy day.
- If you have kids, take them! It’s fun filled and educational.
Arignar Anna Zoological Park Ticket Prices
- Adults 30 INR; Children 10 INR.
How To reach Arignar Anna Zoological Park by Public Transport
- Trains from Chennai Central and Egmore available.
- Be sure to ask local travelers or the bus conductor for more specific details.
Restaurants Near Arignar Anna Zoological Park
- Brownie Cottage (Bakery, desserts/ 350 INR for two)
- Saravana Bhavan (South Indian, North Indian/ 300 INR for two)
- Aahaar (North Indian, South Indian/ 500 INR for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Chennai Reviews - Write a Review
Try on a non-crowded day.. a good place to hang out with your little ones.. be there as early as possible .. it would be good if there are couple of good restaurants inside.. as they won't let you take any outside food... I suggest you hire a bicycle than the electric vehicle to make the most of it. The best part is, it is clean and green.
- Good collection of birds - Chimpanzee - 2 The only attraction - White Tiger - 3 - Elephant - 1 (very far - You can see if you are super lucky) - Giraffe - 2 - Bengal Tiger - 1 (very very very far) - Lion - 2 (Very far) - Hippopotamus - 4 - Bison - a few -A few more other animals like deers and reptiles. - Panther, Hyena, wolf, Rhino and many other animals- Missing (Saw board but couldn’t find) - Don’t take ticket for camera, nothing to photograph - Best place for couples , the only people whom we found enjoying the park (Lots of private places are available) - Hire a bicycle, you can save your time and enjoy a cycle ride.It is Impossible to walk the whole park. -No maintenance at all -Nocturnal animals cave- Consider yourself lucky if you come out alive, it stinks as hell.
Best place in Chennai to spend time with Family. Its a big zoo, so if you can't walk try cycle services or use zoo Cab vehicles. Need to buy ticket in entrance itself. Now Entry ticket is Rs 50 per adult. Best place for Nature/Animal lovers and even photographers. Need to buy Rs 25 tickets for mobile phone cameras too. They check in entrance itself.
Good place for hanging with family and friends.. nice car parking with low fee. But the entry fee was average,, not allowing the food items which forcing us to use the canteen available in zoo. The food was too costly, not up to the quality. But overall the zoo experience was good
A lot of animals you can see in the park. It is a very large park, Cycles are available inside the park, Battery vehicles are also there, Very cheap price inside the park and Safari is also there which is affordable. Mainly a variety of Tigers, Snakes, Lion, Panther, Crocodiles etc lot of animals you cab explore inside it.. Great place for for families as well as Timepassers :P
- Nearby Attractions
- Click Art Museum
- St George's Cathedral
- Kaaraneeswarar Temple
- Kandhakottam Temple
- The Theosophical Society
- Arulmigu Sri Muppathamman Temple
- Guindy National Park
- Ripon Building
- Madhya Kailash Temple
- Dhandeeswaram Temple
- Chennai Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Chennai
- What to See in 48 Hours in Chennai
- What to See in 72 Hours in Chennai
- How to Spend 5 Days in Chennai
- How to Spend 6 Days in Chennai
- How to Spend 7 Days in Chennai