Dhenupureeswarar TempleCurrently Closed
- Address: Madambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600126, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 08:30 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
About Dhenupureeswarar Temple, Chennai
This temple is also referred to as the Dhenupurisvara or the Thiripureeswarar, being dedicated to the lord Shiva; locally called as Dhenupureeswarar. This reference of Lord Shiva, in the region is derived from a belief that a cow here was given moksha to. The Shiva Lingham here is said to be Swayambhu or Self Manifested. Another striking feature of this temple is the old, brilliantly picturesque architecture. Built when the Cholas were reigning, this temple dates back to mostly the 10th century as per some religious statistics.
Dhenupureeswarar Temple Information
- Visit on a Sunday evening by 4:30pm to experience the popular Sarabeswarar Rahu kala puja.
How To reach Dhenupureeswarar Temple by Public Transport
- Madambakkam Koil Bus Stop Bus Station
- Tea Shop Bus Station
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Dhenupureeswarar Temple
1.3% of people who visit Chennai include Dhenupureeswarar Temple in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
86.9% of people start their Dhenupureeswarar Temple visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Dhenupureeswarar Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dhenupureeswarar Temple
People normally also visit Kundrathur Murugan Temple while planning their trip to Dhenupureeswarar Temple.
Dhenupureeswarar Temple Map
Dhenupureeswarar Temple Trips
Dhenupureeswarar Temple, Chennai Reviews
Wonderful temple... Historical artwork clearly visible. Old temple with positive vibrations
One of the oldest historic temple in the area. The temple is under archeological department of India. The Gurukul inside the temple is kind and makes satisfaction in devotees prayer. All festivals are celebrated in good manner. Sarbeswarar worship on Sunday evening is famous and people come all around Chennai to this temple. Come with a empty mind, pray peacefully and experience the divine energy in the temple. Maintained well and good place for peaceful worship.
It's more than 1000 years old as I heard from old ppl around the temple say. It's calm and great spiritual place. Parking around the temple is available.
The temple is well maintained and worth visiting - it has major shrines for denupureshwarar and dheenukaambaal - also one can visit 18 sitthargal koil near this place
Nice hindu temple....Dhenupureeswarar got his name because he gave moksha to a cow (Sanskrit: Dhenu). Sage Kapila is said to have been reborn as a cow for his sin of having improperly worshiped a Shiva lingam using his left hand. The cow continued to worship Shiva by pouring milk on a Shiva lingam buried in the ground. The cowherd initially punished the cow for wasting the milk, but when the villagers unearthed the Shiva lingam, Shiva appeared and granted moksha (liberation) to Kapila and forgave the cowherd who had mistreated him. Legend has it that the king had a dream of this occurrence at this site and had the temple built to commemorate it. Dhenupureeswarar's consort here is Dhenukambal. The main building of the temple, which contains the statue of Dhenupureeswara in linga form, faces east and his consort faces south in a separate sanctum. The Shiva lingam is Swayambhu Lingam or Self Manifested Lingam.
All QuestionsDhenupureeswarar temple
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal