Government Museum, ChennaiCurrently Closed
- Address: Beside Government Maternity Hospital, Pantheon Road, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600008, India
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4428193778
- Ticket Price: 15 INR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, Historical Site, Family And Kids
About Government Museum, Chennai
Located in Chennai’s neighbourhood of Egmore, the Egmore museum or the Government Museum of Chennai boasts of an informative collection of items related to human history and culture. Instigated in the year 1851, this museum is considered to be one of the best things to do in Chennai with kids. The museum ranks second in the list of oldest museum in India, following the Indian Museum of Kolkata.
This is a brilliant place to visit for all those who have interest in archaeology and numismatic collections. The highlights of the museum include collections from the European countries with Roman antiques. Along with these, this Indo-Saracenic styled museum is also home to some artworks of Raja Ravi Varma.
Government Museum Information
- The art galleries and the bronze museum are the most beautiful attractions, be sure to visit them!
- It’s a great place to take your kids, the Children’s Museum has the most footfall.
- Not all the displays are open or active, try to schedule your trip accordingly.
- Prepare yourself for a lot of walking!
- Visit the book shop to see great English and Indian books and comics.
Government Museum Ticket Prices
- Mentioned ticket prices are for Indian adults.
- Foreigner adults: INR 250
- Camera/Video Charges: Indian-INR 200; Foreigner-INR 500
How To reach Government Museum by Public Transport
- Maternity Hospital Bus Station
- T.B. Hospital Bus Station
Restaurants Near Government Museum
- Liu’s Waldorf (Chinese/ 700 INR for two)
- Big Chicken (Chinese, North Indian, Mughlai/ 300 INR for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Government Museum
38.54% of people who visit Chennai include Government Museum in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
35.99% of people start their Government Museum visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Government Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Government Museum
Government Museum, Chennai Reviews
Huge and very old Museum atleast 3 hrs is required to see it completely. Try to come Morning itself. Will close at sharp 5. (Windows will close 4:30 onwards) There are different galleries for archeology, numismatics, zoology, natural history, sculptures, manuscripts, paintings etc.Totally there are 6 buildings. Very informative for students. An air-conditioned 3D theatre is under construction at the children's museum at a cost of ₹ 4 million.
Good place, some really good stuff of local findings...but lacking illustrations and studies, which people are keen to learn and record. Center of attraction is Hindu Sculpture, Buddha Sculpture, Jain Sculpture, Dedicated Bronze Museum and old Stone age descriptions. A Library is also available where we can buy Tamil and English literature. Some Horror part too, in the form of snakes, frogs, birds, animals, amphibian's preserved bodies.
One of the largest and oldest Museum in India. Located in heart of city, Very neat and clean, well maintained, entrance fee is very low. Very useful for school and college students, they learn more about History as well archeology , lot of information on each category. All are must visit.. u will enjoy it.
Huge museum with lot of things to admire..! Really a great experience. Can enjoy a lot and learn more about the history as well archeology..! Can spend great time with very less cost for citizen of India..! Lovely place with huge and ancient library..! Very useful place to visit.. hope everyone will enjoy by visiting it soon..!
Just one word "Awesome". It takes you minimum 5 hours if you really interested in this stuffs. It has sections like Ancient marbles and Sculpture, Space and Science, Kid's section and the list goes on. Best place to go with the kids. Warning: If you go with kids, Be ready they will shower questions on you .