Government Museum2579 Votes Currently Closed
Located in Chennai’s neighbourhood of Egmore, the Egmore museum or the Government Museum of Chennai boasts of an informative collection of items related to human history and culture. Instigated in the year 1851, this museum is considered to be one of the best things to do in Chennai with kids. The museum ranks second in the list of oldest museum in India, following the Indian Museum of Kolkata.
This is a brilliant place to visit for all those who have interest in archaeology and numismatic collections. The highlights of the museum include collections from the European countries with Roman antiques. Along with these, this Indo-Saracenic styled museum is also home to some artworks of Raja Ravi Varma.
Government Museum Travel Tips
- The art galleries and the bronze museum are the most beautiful attractions, be sure to visit them!
- It’s a great place to take your kids, the Children’s Museum has the most footfall.
- Not all the displays are open or active, try to schedule your trip accordingly.
- Prepare yourself for a lot of walking!
- Visit the book shop to see great English and Indian books and comics.
Entrance Ticket Details For Government Museum
- Mentioned ticket prices are for Indian adults.
- Foreigner adults: INR 250
- Camera/Video Charges: Indian-INR 200; Foreigner-INR 500
How to Reach Government Museum
- Maternity Hospital Bus Station
- T.B. Hospital Bus Station
- Liu’s Waldorf (Chinese/ 700 INR for two)
- Big Chicken (Chinese, North Indian, Mughlai/ 300 INR for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
43.18% of people who visit Chennai include Government Museum in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
46.83% of people start their Government Museum visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Government Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Government Museum