Government MuseumCurrently Closed
- Address: Beside Government Maternity Hospital, Pantheon Road, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600008, India
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4428193778
- Ticket Price: 15 INR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Government Museum - Review
Located in Chennai’s neighbourhood of Egmore, the Egmore museum or the Government Museum of Chennai boasts of an informative collection of items related to human history and culture. Instigated in the year 1851, this museum is considered to be one of the best things to do in Chennai with kids. The museum ranks second in the list of oldest museum in India, following the Indian Museum of Kolkata.
This is a brilliant place to visit for all those who have interest in archaeology and numismatic collections. The highlights of the museum include collections from the European countries with Roman antiques. Along with these, this Indo-Saracenic styled museum is also home to some artworks of Raja Ravi Varma.
Government Museum Information
- The art galleries and the bronze museum are the most beautiful attractions, be sure to visit them!
- It’s a great place to take your kids, the Children’s Museum has the most footfall.
- Not all the displays are open or active, try to schedule your trip accordingly.
- Prepare yourself for a lot of walking!
- Visit the book shop to see great English and Indian books and comics.
Government Museum Ticket Prices
- Mentioned ticket prices are for Indian adults.
- Foreigner adults: INR 250
- Camera/Video Charges: Indian-INR 200; Foreigner-INR 500
How To reach Government Museum by Public Transport
- Maternity Hospital Bus Station
- T.B. Hospital Bus Station
Restaurants Near Government Museum
- Liu’s Waldorf (Chinese/ 700 INR for two)
- Big Chicken (Chinese, North Indian, Mughlai/ 300 INR for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Government Museum
88.43% of people who visit Chennai include Government Museum in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
37.83% of people start their Government Museum visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Government Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Government Museum
Government Museum Map
Government Museum Trips
Government Museum, Chennai Reviews
Government museum consists of 7 or 8 buildings. Some new buildings also built now. Great to watch our ancient things, arts, sculptures. Best place for our children to show our pride. We need a full day of visit to this place. Quiet enjoyable and knowledgeable. Nearly 1 km from egmore railway station
Nice place to explore for a day. They have about 6 main buildings, each focusing on a separate area of interest. To completely explore all the buildings,. Ancient Hindu sculptures and Indus valley civilization artifacts seen here..! Wonderful learning place of Tamilnadu. Art, Culture. Children's exhibition. Educative and Entertainment guarantee. Pretty large sections. Maybe half a day will take a time to see everything
Good place to dive into history and knowledge. Very informative in nature, details curated across 4-5 building within the campus and easily accessible by walk. Cleanliness could be improved as the facility is well received by foreigners as well as locals. Eateries available outside the campus, but it's preferred to carry homely food if planning for a trip with family so as to sit back and revive in the shades of campus. A book store is available within the campus for those who are interested in reading.
The buildings are refurbished and even they had escalator like structures near steps for physically challenged.... There is children museum too. It's a separate building. For paintings and ancient sculptor another building. Over all it gives you a different experience... Stamp collections, coin collections also there. Quite interesting.
Well maintained for public visitors. Good environment . Decent atmosphere and lots of heritage facts and rare monuments and other scientific realistic models. Very low entry ticket price. Made my day. Perfect place for a family day outing.