Guindy National Park2213 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 259, Anna Salai, DMS Compound, IV Floor, Teynampet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India- 600006 Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: 044-22301328
- Ticket Price: 20 INR
- Tags: Forest, Geological Formation, National Park, Park, Nature
Right at the heart of the city lays the Guindy National Park, stretching over 1.09 square miles of protected land. This park offers us a glimpse into the remnants of the fast disappearing natural fauna of Chennai. The park holds many unique qualities; it is home to the most rare type of vegetation – tropical, dry, evergreen vegetation, it is one of the smallest national parks in the country and it’s one of the very few parks right in the center of a metro city. It’s most outstanding feature is its role in both in-situ and ex-situ conservation.
There was once a ‘Guindy Lodge’, where the governor of Tamil Nadu resided, the extension of which makes up the park. Deep into the governor’s estate, it transforms into beautiful forest, scrublands and streams. Ironically, Guindy Park was once a game reserve, out of which a garden space was carved out and the remaining land, owned by a British citizen by the name of Gilbert Rodericks, was sold to the government. This land was converted into a forest reserve. Between 1961 and 1977, portions of this land were taken by various governmental departments to build memorials and educational institutions. In 1978, the entire remaining area was declared a national park.
The salient feature of this park is it practices both kinds of fauna conservation – in situ and ex situ. ‘In situ conservation’ means ‘on sight conservation’, where an endangered species is protected in its natural habitat. ‘Ex situ conservation’ means ‘off sight conservation’, where an endangered species is protected by taking out a portion of the species and putting them in a protected area, in order to increase their numbers.
Today, a couple of thousand animals call this place their home, including 400 blackbucks, 24 jackals, 2,000 spotted deer, a variety of reptiles, bird, small fuzzy critters, numerous different species of insects and an immense number of little insects and invertebrates. All these animals live in freedom and have minimal contact with human beings. A Children’s Park, a zoo, was created for ex situ conservation as well as to educate children about animals and the need to conserve and protect them. The animals protected in this zoo are black buck, spotted deer, hyenas, pythons and the cormorants, to name a few.
The plant life that grows here is also rare and attracts botanists from far and wide. Evergreen scrubs and thorn forests provide a lush backdrop as shrubs, creepers and herbs cradle the trees. The trees, such as Sugar Apple and Neem, grow here abundantly, providing shade Stroll around, observe and enjoy the way the plant life and animals co exist peacefully and joyfully. An island of peace, in the heart of a corporate jungle; all nature lovers should visit this small and beautiful park.
Guindy National Park Travel Tips
- Look out for chameleons!
- Check out the snake and reptile park.
- Don’t feed the animals junk food, a lot of people do! Not nice.
- Only one eatery is available within the park so eat before going.
Entrance Ticket Details For Guindy National Park
- INR 20 per Adult; INR 5 per child; INR 20 per still camera; INR 100 per video camera.
How to Reach Guindy National Park
- Train to Chennai Egmore, which is 8 kms away.
- Be sure to ask local travelers or the bus conductor for more specific details.
- Snow ‘s Park (North Indian, Chinese, South Indian/ 600 INR for two)
- Pale Purple (Pub, Chinese, North Indian/ 1000 INR for two)
- The Flying Elephant (North Indian, Chinese, European/ 2500 INR for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Guindy National Park Address: 259, Anna Salai, DMS Compound, IV Floor, Teynampet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India- 600006
- Guindy National Park Contact Number: 044-22301328
- Guindy National Park Timing: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm
- Guindy National Park Price: 20 INR
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
34.26% of people who visit Chennai include Guindy National Park in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
34.87% of people start their Guindy National Park visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Guindy National Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Guindy National Park
People normally club together Birla Planetarium and The Anna Centenary Library while planning their visit to Guindy National Park.
Guindy National Park Reviews & Ratings
Is children park in Guindy is open today. Pl confirmAnswer Report Abuse
children park is open today ie. on Gandhi Jayanthi. pl confmAnswer Report Abuse