How to Reach Chennai
HOW TO GET IN CHENNAI
- By Air: Chennai has an international (Anna airport) and domestic airport (named Kama raj) at Tirisulam near Meenambakkam. You can travel from New Delhi or Mumbai to Chennai through plane as there will always be domestic flights running between these metropolitan cities. International travelers can reach directly to Chennai airport provided if you have direct flights from your country.
- By Train: Train facilities are also available from almost all the places in the country. Major cities like Bangalore, Mumbai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ahmadabad and many more are connected to Chennai via rail routes.
- By Bus: Chennai has an air bus and Volvo bus running between the neighboring states like Andhra, Karnataka, and Kerala. These buses are also available for all the places within Tamil Nadu. Buses run every hour from Tirupati, Pondicherry, Coimbatore,Tirunelveli to Chennai.
- By Car: You could also get to Chennai by a private or hired car from Kolkata, Bengaluru, Tiruchy/Madurai, Pondicherry, and Tiruvallur.
HOW TO GET AROUND CHENNAI
- By Train: Chennai has 4 major rail routes:
- Western Line: Chennai Central, North Line: Chennai Central, South Line: Chennai Beach and MRTS Line: Chennai Beach which can be used to get around the city.
- By Bus: You could cover almost all of Chennai via bus. Weekly and monthly bus passes are available for tourists as well.
- By Rickshaw: You could explore the city by private or shared auto as well.
- By Taxi: You could easily hire a taxi to get around the city.
- By car: you could us your private vehicle or rent a car to get around the city.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Chennai. The most preferred mode of transport in Chennai is Car.
Average distance: 15.26 km Average time: 45.55 min
Car 33.33%Driving 41.11 min Walking 0.39 min Overall average time for 17.01 kms 41.5 min
Bus/Trolleybus 16.67%Bus 53.16 min Waiting 7.37 min Walking 6 min Train 5 min Other 1.32 min Overall average time for 20.05 kms 72.84 min
Walking 7.02%Walking 32.75 min Driving 5.63 min Bike 2.5 min Motorbike 0.25 min Overall average time for 5.5 kms 41.13 min
Bike 17.54%Bike 36.65 min Walking 0.05 min Overall average time for 11.73 kms 36.7 min
Motorbike 13.16%Motorbike 32 min Walking 0.67 min Waiting 0.33 min Overall average time for 12.27 kms 33 min
Train/Metro 6.14%Train 33.57 min Waiting 6 min Walking 5.57 min Bus 2.14 min Overall average time for 24.29 kms 47.29 min