Marina BeachCurrently Open
- Address: Marina Beach, Chennai. Tamil Nadu, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Beach, Leisure, Family And Kids
Marina Beach - Review
Stretching at a length of 13 kilometres, Marina beach is the second largest beach in the world. It is a natural beach, characterized by the urbaneness owing to its location in India’ metro Chennai. Fringing the mammoth Bay of Bengal, this beach runs from the Fort St. George in the north to Foreshore Estate in the south. However, the beach is often resorted to by locals for morning and evening walks along with some recreational activities along the beach. These facts also make it one of the most-visited beaches in India, drawing a footfall of 30,000-odd visitors per day.
For entertainment and recreation there are various avenues here like food stalls, sights of memorials and sculptures, an aquarium, a lovers’ spot, two swimming pools, an oval-shaped skating arena. Other than these, you will find lots of visitors flying kites and playing cricket here. Fisherman colonies at both the ends of the beach make for an interesting visit. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Chennai itinerary 1 day.
Marina Beach Information
- Though swimming in the sea isn’t allowed, there are two Olympic sized swimming pools along the beach.
- You should keep aside at least 2-3 hours to spend on the beach.
- It’s the most vibrant in the evenings as most of the crowd comes then. For those seeking peace, avoid the weekends and go as early as possible.
- Being such a long beach, those who enjoy leisurely walks can do so. There’s a jogger’s track and lover’s spot for those interested.
- The promenade has many statues, which are pretty interesting to see. Be sure to give them a look.
- According to reviewers, the beach isn’t particularly well maintained.
- It’s the most crowded on the weekends, so avoid that if large crowds irritate you.
- Parking is very hard to find on weekends and holidays.
- Be sure to stroll through each of the rooms the Swami lived in for a clear idea of the principles he lived by throughout his life.
- Bathing and swimming legally prohibited.
Marina Beach Opening and Closing Hours
- Open throughout though it isn’t advisable to go too late (post 12 am).
How To reach Marina Beach by Public Transport
- To the beach: Buses 29A, 27B, S27B, Bus 22 all go to Anna Square from different parts of the city.
- From the beach: Bus S25G, 12G, 02A, S27H leave from Anna Square to different parts of the city.
- Thiruvallikeni MRTS Station
- Light House MRTS Station
- Thirumayilai Railway Station
- Mandaveli MRTS Station
Restaurants Near Marina Beach
- Dakshin (South Indian cuisine/approx. Rs. 3000 for two)
- Burgundy’s (Indian, Oriental, Italian and Continental/ Rs. 2,200 for two)
- Annalakshmi (South Indian, North Indian/ Rs. 800 for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Marina Beach
95% of people who visit Chennai include Marina Beach in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
34.85% of people start their Marina Beach visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Marina Beach
92.92% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Marina Beach
Marina Beach Map
Marina Beach Trips
Marina Beach, Chennai Reviews
Wonderful place to visit. Ease you mind from the tension of your work and life. Makes happy while lot of kids and children play in the sand and sea waves. People forget their age and become a child here. You get peace of mind and happiness here. Rest rooms should have been maintained properly by the government but still needs lot of improvement.
It is one of the largest beaches in the world. The place is very beautiful. You have to walk a bit to reach the sea. This place is more beautiful in the evening. You can seat and enjoy the beauty there. In a moonlit night this place is awesome. The cool sea air will fill you up with freshness. There is a tourist place near it named Vivekananda Illam dedicated to Swami Vivekananda. The only problem is this beach is a not much clean and well maintained but you will enjoy the place I can guarantee.
The beach is clean.best time to visit is in the evening. no disturbance, couples can go freely, students can hangout with the friends gang. Chepauk stadium(Chennai cricket stadium) is also near the marina beach. The parking is free for vehicles. The beach is visible from the traffic. Wheel chair accessible entrance. Public transport facility is also available.
It's a good place and it's was the largest beach.and it's so wide. It good to walk along the seashore. It feel very good if we see the rising sun in the morning. It's one of the best places if we visit Chennai. If you go once there you will wish to go again and again to the beach.
Very nice place to relax.. Worlds long beech and enough space for us to sit private and relax even at crowded times.. But we have to maintain cleanliness and educate our children now onwards for their future to have some long fresh breath here.. Had enjoyable moment here everytime we were going at Marina...