Marina Beach, ChennaiCurrently Open
- Address: Marina Beach, Chennai. Tamil Nadu, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Beach, Leisure, Family And Kids
About Marina Beach, Chennai
Stretching at a length of 13 kilometres, Marina beach is the second largest beach in the world. It is a natural beach, characterized by the urbaneness owing to its location in India’ metro Chennai. Fringing the mammoth Bay of Bengal, this beach runs from the Fort St. George in the north to Foreshore Estate in the south. However, the beach is often resorted to by locals for morning and evening walks along with some recreational activities along the beach. These facts also make it one of the most-visited beaches in India, drawing a footfall of 30,000-odd visitors per day.
For entertainment and recreation there are various avenues here like food stalls, sights of memorials and sculptures, an aquarium, a lovers’ spot, two swimming pools, an oval-shaped skating arena. Other than these, you will find lots of visitors flying kites and playing cricket here. Fisherman colonies at both the ends of the beach make for an interesting visit. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Chennai itinerary 1 day.
Marina Beach Information
- Though swimming in the sea isn’t allowed, there are two Olympic sized swimming pools along the beach.
- You should keep aside at least 2-3 hours to spend on the beach.
- It’s the most vibrant in the evenings as most of the crowd comes then. For those seeking peace, avoid the weekends and go as early as possible.
- Being such a long beach, those who enjoy leisurely walks can do so. There’s a jogger’s track and lover’s spot for those interested.
- The promenade has many statues, which are pretty interesting to see. Be sure to give them a look.
- According to reviewers, the beach isn’t particularly well maintained.
- It’s the most crowded on the weekends, so avoid that if large crowds irritate you.
- Parking is very hard to find on weekends and holidays.
- Be sure to stroll through each of the rooms the Swami lived in for a clear idea of the principles he lived by throughout his life.
- Bathing and swimming legally prohibited.
Marina Beach Opening and Closing Hours
- Open throughout though it isn’t advisable to go too late (post 12 am).
How To reach Marina Beach by Public Transport
- To the beach: Buses 29A, 27B, S27B, Bus 22 all go to Anna Square from different parts of the city.
- From the beach: Bus S25G, 12G, 02A, S27H leave from Anna Square to different parts of the city.
- Thiruvallikeni MRTS Station
- Light House MRTS Station
- Thirumayilai Railway Station
- Mandaveli MRTS Station
Restaurants Near Marina Beach
- Dakshin (South Indian cuisine/approx. Rs. 3000 for two)
- Burgundy’s (Indian, Oriental, Italian and Continental/ Rs. 2,200 for two)
- Annalakshmi (South Indian, North Indian/ Rs. 800 for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Marina Beach
95% of people who visit Chennai include Marina Beach in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
41.83% of people plan their visit to Marina Beach between 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Marina Beach
94.43% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Marina Beach
Marina Beach, Chennai Reviews
World longest natural urban beach (length is 6.0km ) which provides most prominent open space for Chennai people.Its a major tourist place to visit if you are exploring Chennai.Local shops and food stalls are popular here. Bargaining is suggested before buying any article from here.It normally remains crowdy and is not one of the cleanest beach of Chennai..
It's pretty famous so a lot of people suggest that you should visit this place but if u are a person who has seen a lot of beach then this is a place u won't like at all..its dirty its over crowded..all it has is street food which am willing to bet is not that great either..the shore is so far away that u will feel like returning because its far and in between its covered with garbage. If you are a person who has never visited a beach before then don't let marina be your first one..because this is not how they are.
Nice area for the family weekends and also for lovers. Feel the chill Breeze from the sea shore enjoy the movement of waves and can also play in sea water all kind of entertainments are also available you can move there with kids. Kids love this place
One of the biggest beach in the world, awesome place. Enjoyable early morning and late eve as it will be too hot during the day time. You will get verity of sea foods served over there and also shop's are available for shopping which layed on run bath to the beach.
Could be a world class beach with more discipline and attention to cleanliness on part of the visitors, and with much fewer vendors, who are spread all over. Organizing them in permanent and organized stalls in demarcated areas would go a long way.