Marina BeachCurrently Open
- Address: Marina Beach, Chennai. Tamil Nadu, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Beach, Leisure, Family And Kids
Marina Beach - Review
Stretching at a length of 13 kilometres, Marina beach is the second largest beach in the world. It is a natural beach, characterized by the urbaneness owing to its location in India’ metro Chennai. Fringing the mammoth Bay of Bengal, this beach runs from the Fort St. George in the north to Foreshore Estate in the south. However, the beach is often resorted to by locals for morning and evening walks along with some recreational activities along the beach. These facts also make it one of the most-visited beaches in India, drawing a footfall of 30,000-odd visitors per day.
For entertainment and recreation there are various avenues here like food stalls, sights of memorials and sculptures, an aquarium, a lovers’ spot, two swimming pools, an oval-shaped skating arena. Other than these, you will find lots of visitors flying kites and playing cricket here. Fisherman colonies at both the ends of the beach make for an interesting visit. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Chennai itinerary 1 day.
Marina Beach Information
- Though swimming in the sea isn’t allowed, there are two Olympic sized swimming pools along the beach.
- You should keep aside at least 2-3 hours to spend on the beach.
- It’s the most vibrant in the evenings as most of the crowd comes then. For those seeking peace, avoid the weekends and go as early as possible.
- Being such a long beach, those who enjoy leisurely walks can do so. There’s a jogger’s track and lover’s spot for those interested.
- The promenade has many statues, which are pretty interesting to see. Be sure to give them a look.
- According to reviewers, the beach isn’t particularly well maintained.
- It’s the most crowded on the weekends, so avoid that if large crowds irritate you.
- Parking is very hard to find on weekends and holidays.
- Be sure to stroll through each of the rooms the Swami lived in for a clear idea of the principles he lived by throughout his life.
- Bathing and swimming legally prohibited.
Marina Beach Hours
- Open throughout though it isn’t advisable to go too late (post 12 am).
How To reach Marina Beach by Public Transport
- To the beach: Buses 29A, 27B, S27B, Bus 22 all go to Anna Square from different parts of the city.
- From the beach: Bus S25G, 12G, 02A, S27H leave from Anna Square to different parts of the city.
- Thiruvallikeni MRTS Station
- Light House MRTS Station
- Thirumayilai Railway Station
- Mandaveli MRTS Station
Restaurants Near Marina Beach
- Dakshin (South Indian cuisine/approx. Rs. 3000 for two)
- Burgundy’s (Indian, Oriental, Italian and Continental/ Rs. 2,200 for two)
- Annalakshmi (South Indian, North Indian/ Rs. 800 for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Marina Beach
95% of people who visit Chennai include Marina Beach in their plan
05 AM - 06 AM
45.8% of people start their Marina Beach visit around 05 AM - 06 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Marina Beach
94.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Marina Beach
Marina Beach Trips
Marina Beach, Chennai Reviews
Nice swimming pool. Clean neat and pure water. Pleasant surrounding. Good environment. It is highly recommended for kids and adults. Well trained and experienced trainers are their always for support and for any help. No need to fear. You can learn from the scratch.
Best view. Water depends on season. It’s a different feeling to walk along the shore. Must place if your traveling mumbai. This queen’s necklace has a beautiful night view. Folks have got the water dirty, but beach seems to be pretty much clean.
Nice place to visit in Chennai. Weekends will be little bit crowded. U can find lot of snacks shops nearby. U can find Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Light house etc. Evening is the best place to visit. Sun set time is the best time for photography. U will get good filter coffee in Chennai Coffee which is very near to beach.
it was the finest and the biggest Beach in Chennai. it was almost 10 to 11 kilometre long. I enjoyed a lot there. I wish that we could have some water sports also there at the beach. overall experience was amazing for us.
The Marina beach is an important landscape in Chennai. This is the longest natural seashore in India. It is an iconic place and adds charm to the city of Chennai. You have to experience the beach in the nights. Tourists would seldom get a chance to experience the true nature of the beach the way local Chennai residents enjoy. An early morning stroll would refresh your mind and body. A 1000 documentaries would be less to describe the emotion that the beach has to offer. The University of Madras is right opposite to the beach. The beach is also a memorial for iconic political legends of the state. The place turns into a carnival on 31st December nights and the Chennai police organizes new year celebration here every year. It's extremely crowded and you will enjoy the unique experience. Extremely recommended. Don't just visit... Try to experience it. Enjoy.