Marina Beach, Chennai
Marina Beach, Chennai - Address
Address: Marina Beach, Chennai. Tamil Nadu
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 31.8K times in trip plans
Beach, Leisure, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Marina Beach, Chennai
Stretching at a length of 13 kilometres, Marina beach is the second largest beach in the world. It is a natural beach, characterized by the urbaneness owing to its location in India’ metro Chennai. Fringing the mammoth Bay of Bengal, this beach runs from the Fort St. George in the north to Foreshore Estate in the south. However, the beach is often resorted to by locals for morning and evening walks along with some recreational activities along the beach. These facts also make it one of the most-visited beaches in India, drawing a footfall of 30,000-odd visitors per day.
For entertainment and recreation there are various avenues here like food stalls, sights of memorials and sculptures, an aquarium, a lovers’ spot, two swimming pools, an oval-shaped skating arena. Other than these, you will find lots of visitors flying kites and playing cricket here. Fisherman colonies at both the ends of the beach make for an interesting visit.
Marina Beach Information
- Though swimming in the sea isn’t allowed, there are two Olympic sized swimming pools along the beach.
- You should keep aside at least 2-3 hours to spend on the beach.
- It’s the most vibrant in the evenings as most of the crowd comes then. For those seeking peace, avoid the weekends and go as early as possible.
- Being such a long beach, those who enjoy leisurely walks can do so. There’s a jogger’s track and lover’s spot for those interested.
- The promenade has many statues, which are pretty interesting to see. Be sure to give them a look.
- According to reviewers, the beach isn’t particularly well maintained.
- It’s the most crowded on the weekends, so avoid that if large crowds irritate you.
- Parking is very hard to find on weekends and holidays.
- Be sure to stroll through each of the rooms the Swami lived in for a clear idea of the principles he lived by throughout his life.
- Bathing and swimming legally prohibited.
Marina Beach Opening and Closing Hours
- Open throughout though it isn’t advisable to go too late (post 12 am).
How To reach Marina Beach by Public Transport
- To the beach: Buses 29A, 27B, S27B, Bus 22 all go to Anna Square from different parts of the city.
- From the beach: Bus S25G, 12G, 02A, S27H leave from Anna Square to different parts of the city.
- Thiruvallikeni MRTS Station
- Light House MRTS Station
- Thirumayilai Railway Station
- Mandaveli MRTS Station
Restaurants Near Marina Beach
- Dakshin (South Indian cuisine/approx. Rs. 3000 for two)
- Burgundy’s (Indian, Oriental, Italian and Continental/ Rs. 2,200 for two)
- Annalakshmi (South Indian, North Indian/ Rs. 800 for two)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Marina Beach, Chennai Reviews - Write a Review
Really a beautiful place to visit. World's second longest beach is really long and the breeze we get here is really wonderful. We have so many vendors in here which is cool, however some people keep pestering us to get the things. Few people take bath here, officers are strict enough in not letting us deep in the sea.
Beautiful place. The real enjoyment in Chennai is the marina beach. How many ever time u visit this place you won't get bored. Wet your feet in the world's second largest beach. A fine place to visit in the evening. Try ur best to visit it during the weekdays rather than on weekends to avoid crowd.
An excellent place for an outing with family and friends. Best time to visit is after 4 pm on any normal day to enjoy the beach. Best place in Chennai to visit without a miss
Nothing can be compared with this humongous scenery. Just leave all your worries apart, sit and sight-see the sea. One of the best and top categorized place must be visited in the city . After years the lighthouse been opened for the public. Best place for freelance and street photographers for capturing anything they wish to do.
Beautiful beach with cleanliness as the high point. A long walk, a slow strolling, a quiet evening with your loved ones or alone.... Marina is open for all.