Religious Site, Family And Kids, Neighbo...
Added 20.1K times in trip plans
About Mylapore, Chennai
Chennai most buzzing and culturally eclectic neighbourhood, Mylapore also happens to be one of the oldest residential parts of the city. This where most of the famous temples of Chennai lie; Kapaleeswarar Temple, Ramakrishna Math, Adi Kesava Perumal Temple, and the Sri Vedantha Desikar Devasthanam/Sri Srinivasar Koil along with the beautiful church Luz Church and the basilica of San Thome. The entire region is a delight to explore on foot, owing to its pretty tree-lined avenues.
Legend has it that this place once the abode of several peacocks, form where it derives its name. Mayil arparikum oor, meaning the “Land of the peacock scream” can further explain this fact. So, you will find a lot of depictions of peacocks in the temple’s architecture too. The region also has a rich trading history in the British period, with a flourishing trade with the Roman Empire.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
How To Get To Mylapore by Public Transport
- Light House MRTS Station
- Mundakanni Amman Kovil train station
- Thirumayilai train station
Book Mylapore Tickets And Tours
Explore the gems of Chennai with the best Chennai tours! Check out the list of top Mylapore tickets and tours today!
Peacock Trail Walking Tour In Mylapore11 ReviewsDuration: 3 hours
Have you ever wondered why there are so many Gods in India? Or what the stars have to do with your future? As walking through the Mylapore neighborhood in Chennai, explore the fascinating stories hidden from the mundane rituals of daily life, the stoFrom USD 22.84 Per Person View Deal
Share your experience - Rate Mylapore, Chennai
- Other Attractions
- Lijiang Old Town
- Shuhe Ancient Town
- Lugu Lake
- Black Dragon Pond Park
- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- Mufu Palace
- Lashi Lake
- Square Street
- Lijiang Mural In Baisha Village
- Lijiang Lion Rock
- Other Attractions Hotels
- Budget Hotels Near Lijiang Old Town
- Cheap Hotels Near Shuhe Ancient Town
- Budget Hotels Near Lugu Lake
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Black Dragon Pond Park
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- Luxury Hotels Near Mufu Palace
- Budget Hotels Near Lashi Lake
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Square Street
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Lijiang Mural In Baisha Village
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Lijiang Lion Rock
- City Tripplans
- Chennai Itinerary 3 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 7 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 5 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 1 Day
- Chennai Itinerary 6 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 4 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 2 Days
- Trip to Chennai, Puducherry, Kanyakumari
- 20 Day Trip to India from Kolkata
- Trip to Paris, London, Chennai, Geneva, Dubai