T Nagar And Ranganathan Street Tours
About T Nagar And Ranganathan Street, Chennai
Everyone loves a good bargain, which is exactly what you’ll get on Ranganathan Street, located in Theagaraya Nagar or T. Nagar as it’s popularly known. Filled with shops and stalls everything and anything under the sun, this street is one of the busiest across India. If you have last minute shopping to do or just want to visit random shops filled with curios, then this busy, bustling street is what you’re looking for. Fried snacks and juices accompany the shopping experience and the entire area is well patrolled by police, making it safe despite the huge crowd.
T. Nagar, 10 kilometers away from the airport and 8 kilometers away from the central train station, came into existence in 1925. It was named after Sir Pitti Thyagaraya Chetty, a prominent political leader from then and most of the streets in this locality we named after important cabinet ministers and administrative officials. Ranganathan Street was named after Lord Ranganatha of Srirangam, as per the wishes of the first ever residents of the street Rangaswamy Iyenggar, after whom the street should have actually been named after as per the usual practice then.
Thanks to the dizzying array of products one can find there, from safety pins to gold jewelry, T. Nagar is one of the busiest shopping areas in Chennai. Official estimates annual revenue of Rs. 100,000 million, more than the most popular streets in Mumbai or Delhi. Ranganathan Street is full of popular, large retail outlets alongside small makeshift pavement stalls, selling everything from household goods to garments. At one end, lies Usman Road, one of the most expensive commercial stretches in the city, and at the other, Mambalam train station. In between, is a hue of brightly coloured saris and dress materials on display and food stalls selling delectable fried roadside food, the street is a hue of smells and colours, sounds and voices. A movie has been based on this street.
Visit this road and revel in its vibrancy. Munch on spicy snack while browsing through clothes, trinkets and all kinds of things. Watch the local vendors and shoppers and truly get a feel of the spirit of the people of Chennai. Though extremely crowded, it’s level of safety and amazingly low prices attract buyers and meanderers from all over the city. Just remember to gargle because your vocal chords are definitely going to get a serious work out in this bargainer’s delight.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
T Nagar And Ranganathan Street Information
- Other Hours: Shops open by 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.
- Tips & Warnings: The Saravana Stores are the most popular, with all kinds of goods at very reasonable rates.
- Pondy bazaar is another place where one can get the latest accessories.
- Pothys, Chennai Silks and RMKV for textiles.
- Very, very, very crowded.
- Try to avoid going there before special holidays like Christmas, it’ll be even more crowded than usual.
- Need to be a good bargainer, since most of the shops are street shops.
- Spend as long as you want in order to see all the shops and temples in the area.
- Do try the famous street food if you’re feeling hungry (and adventurous!).
- You can do all your last minute shopping here!
How To Get To T Nagar And Ranganathan Street by Public Transport
- Taxis available
- Trains to Chennai Central and Egmore
- Mambalam Railway Station
- Thiagaraya Nagar Bus Station
- T Nagar Bus Terminus Bus Station
- Be sure to ask local travelers or the bus conductor for more specific details.
Restaurants Near T Nagar And Ranganathan Street
- Madurai Arulanandam Hotel
- Karaikkudi Murugappar
- Karaikudi Chettinadu Mess
Book T nagar and ranganathan street Tickets And Tours
Join this private full-day tour to explore the history of Mahabalipuram, an important ancient port well known to the ancient Romans and Greeks. The group of monuments at Mahabalipuram has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it is known as an area "considered to be of outstanding value to humanity". Mahabalipuram is today renowned the world over for its exquisite 6th century rock cut temples and intricate statues of stone. On the way you will also visit the DakshinaChitra, also known as the "living museum" of South India, to learn more about South Indian lifestyles and the Madras Crocodile Bank, a reptile zoo and herpetology research station, started by an herpetologist to protect crocodiles.
Book this convenient private arrival transfer service from Chennai International Airport (MAA) directly to your hotel in Chennai.
Get to the heart of Chennaiâs local culture with a jam-packed morning of art, spirituality, and food! Visit the ancient Marundeeswarar Temple, join an early-morning Hindu ceremony, learn the traditional art and mudras at Kalakshetra Dance Academy, and enjoy a traditional south Indian breakfast - talk about the ultimate way to start your day!
Ensure a hassle-free way to end your vacation in Chennai by pre-booking this private departure transfer from your Chennai hotel to the Chennai International Airport. When itâs time to leave the city, your professional and reliable driver will meet you in your hotel lobby. Then, relax in a private, air-conditioned vehicle as youâre driven directly to the airport â itâs that easy!
Share your experience - Rate T Nagar And Ranganathan Street, Chennai
- Other Attractions
- Humble Administrator's Garden Or Zhuo Zeng Yuan
- Lion Grove Garden Or Shi Zi Lin
- Tiger Hill
- Suzhou Museum
- Pingjiang Road
- Suzhou Amusement Park
- Liu Lingering Garden Or Liu Yuan
- Shantang Street Or Seven-Li Shantang
- Hanshan Temple Or Cold Mountain Temple
- Jinji Lake
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 5 Star Hotels Near Humble Administrator's Garden Or Zhuo Zeng Yuan
- 5 Star Hotels Near Lion Grove Garden Or Shi Zi Lin
- 5 Star Hotels Near Tiger Hill
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Suzhou Museum
- Budget Hotels Near Pingjiang Road
- 5 Star Hotels Near Suzhou Amusement Park
- 5 Star Hotels Near Liu Lingering Garden Or Liu Yuan
- 5 Star Hotels Near Shantang Street Or Seven-Li Shantang
- Budget Hotels Near Hanshan Temple Or Cold Mountain Temple
- Luxury Hotels Near Jinji Lake
- City Tripplans
- Chennai Itinerary 3 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 7 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 5 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 1 Day
- Chennai Itinerary 6 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 4 Days
- Chennai Itinerary 2 Days
- Trip to Chennai, Puducherry, Kanyakumari
- 20 Day Trip to India from Kolkata
- Trip to Paris, London, Chennai, Geneva, Dubai