T Nagar And Ranganathan Street, Chennai
About T Nagar And Ranganathan Street, Chennai
T Nagar And Ranganathan Street, Chennai - Address
Address: Ranganathan Station, Postal Colony, T Nagar Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600017
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 21.4K times in trip plans
Street Market, Family And Kids, Streets
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Everyone loves a good bargain, which is exactly what you’ll get on Ranganathan Street, located in Theagaraya Nagar or T. Nagar as it’s popularly known. Filled with shops and stalls everything and anything under the sun, this street is one of the busiest across India. If you have last minute shopping to do or just want to visit random shops filled with curios, then this busy, bustling street is what you’re looking for. Fried snacks and juices accompany the shopping experience and the entire area is well patrolled by police, making it safe despite the huge crowd.
T. Nagar, 10 kilometers away from the airport and 8 kilometers away from the central train station, came into existence in 1925. It was named after Sir Pitti Thyagaraya Chetty, a prominent political leader from then and most of the streets in this locality we named after important cabinet ministers and administrative officials. Ranganathan Street was named after Lord Ranganatha of Srirangam, as per the wishes of the first ever residents of the street Rangaswamy Iyenggar, after whom the street should have actually been named after as per the usual practice then.
Thanks to the dizzying array of products one can find there, from safety pins to gold jewelry, T. Nagar is one of the busiest shopping areas in Chennai. Official estimates annual revenue of Rs. 100,000 million, more than the most popular streets in Mumbai or Delhi. Ranganathan Street is full of popular, large retail outlets alongside small makeshift pavement stalls, selling everything from household goods to garments. At one end, lies Usman Road, one of the most expensive commercial stretches in the city, and at the other, Mambalam train station. In between, is a hue of brightly coloured saris and dress materials on display and food stalls selling delectable fried roadside food, the street is a hue of smells and colours, sounds and voices. A movie has been based on this street.
Visit this road and revel in its vibrancy. Munch on spicy snack while browsing through clothes, trinkets and all kinds of things. Watch the local vendors and shoppers and truly get a feel of the spirit of the people of Chennai. Though extremely crowded, it’s level of safety and amazingly low prices attract buyers and meanderers from all over the city. Just remember to gargle because your vocal chords are definitely going to get a serious work out in this bargainer’s delight.
T Nagar And Ranganathan Street Information
- Other Hours: Shops open by 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.
- Tips & Warnings: The Saravana Stores are the most popular, with all kinds of goods at very reasonable rates.
- Pondy bazaar is another place where one can get the latest accessories.
- Pothys, Chennai Silks and RMKV for textiles.
- Very, very, very crowded.
- Try to avoid going there before special holidays like Christmas, it’ll be even more crowded than usual.
- Need to be a good bargainer, since most of the shops are street shops.
- Spend as long as you want in order to see all the shops and temples in the area.
- Do try the famous street food if you’re feeling hungry (and adventurous!).
- You can do all your last minute shopping here!
How To reach T Nagar And Ranganathan Street by Public Transport
- Taxis available
- Trains to Chennai Central and Egmore
- Mambalam Railway Station
- Thiagaraya Nagar Bus Station
- T Nagar Bus Terminus Bus Station
- Be sure to ask local travelers or the bus conductor for more specific details.
Restaurants Near T Nagar And Ranganathan Street
- Madurai Arulanandam Hotel
- Karaikkudi Murugappar
- Karaikudi Chettinadu Mess
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chennai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chennai and book an accommodation of your choice.
T Nagar And Ranganathan Street, Chennai Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Somerset Greenways Chennai
- Muttukadu Backwaters
- Accord Metropolitan
- Jagannatha Puram
- 220, Anna Salai, Teynampet, Thiru Vi Ka Kudiyiruppu
- Spencer Plaza Mall
- 82, Kodambakkam High Rd, Badrikari, Tirumurthy Nagar
- Odiyur Lake
- Jagannathan Street
- Chennai Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Chennai
- What to See in 48 Hours in Chennai
- What to See in 72 Hours in Chennai
- How to Spend 5 Days in Chennai
- How to Spend 6 Days in Chennai
- How to Spend 7 Days in Chennai