Are you looking for what to do in Chennai?
Chennai city is best known for beaches and it also the best place for hangout in the evenings. Other places to visit are the temples in and around the city, various shopping malls and various café shops available throughout the city.
- Marina Beach: Chennai has beach as it lies along the Sea Bay of Bengal and it has classified the beach into different names based on the areas.Main beach being the Marina beach and this is the best place to spend evenings. You can get a cool breeze in the evening and have a chance to meet chennai people as there will be a huge crowd especially in the evenings.
- Besant Nagar Beach: This beach is in the Besant nagar area and it is a good place for hang out. This does not have much crowd compared to Marina and the beach also a temple to its side which is called as Ashtalakshmi Temple. You can find eight lakshmi devi inside this temple and no where in the world you can find eight lakshmi devi at one place.
- Kapaleeshwar Temple: This temple is an ancient temple built during the Pallavan kingdom. Temple has Lord Shiva and Lord Parvati called as Karpagambal situated at Mylapore. This place is worshipped by Hindus and it is considered equal to Kailai which is the unique place for Lord Shiva.
- Crocodile Bank: Crocodile park is situated at Mamallapuram which is the bank for different crocodiles.
- Covelong: Covelong again is a beach but different in having resorts along beach side apart from other beaches available inside the city. This place has a good tourist attraction and you can even try to spend a day or two in the resort during weekends to escape the hot temperature and enjoy the sea breeze.
- Kanchipuram: Kanchipuram is the place near to Chennai which will take around 3 hours drive. This place is well known for silk sarees as it will have many weavers producing silk sarees and selling it for the best rate. This place is full of ancient temples and if you are interested in sculptures then it is the best choice to have a look at splendid creation of man in his olden days.
- Vedanthangal: Vedanthangal is the bird sanctuary and it is the biggest one in the country as it will have birds flying in from different parts of the world especially during the seasons of November to January.
- Spencer Plaza and Inox: These are the two important shopping malls in the city one is situated at Egmore and other at Mylapore. Near Spencer Plaza there are also many shopping malls in and around Egmore area where you can find variety of ornament collections, accessories and dresses.
- Pondy Bazaar: This is one of the shopping areas in Chennai and you can even have window shopping as most of the shops will be available in platforms. Wide range of accessories can be picked up from these shops.
- Sathyam Cinemas, Inox and PVR: These are the main theatres in the city and it is the place for many youngsters to have a get together and watch movies during their holidays and weekends.
- Dramas and Musical Concerts: Dramas and Musical concerts happen in Chennai at various auditorium like Vani Mahal at T.Nagar, Auditorium at TTK Road Alwarpet. Musical concerts are generally organized at Sri Thyaga Brahma Gana Sabha and Nada Gana Sabha.
- Filter Coffee: Entire south India especially TamilNadu is famous for filter coffee and you can have coffees at any restaurant in Chennai. Famous restaurants for filter coffee are the hotels like Saravana Bhavan, Ratna Cafe at Triplicane, Sangeetha restaurant at egmore.
- Places to dine Tiffins Items: South India is famous for Tiffin items like IDLY, Dosai and Sambhar. This hotel is in T.Nagar area where you can relish the taste of Idly Sambhar along with Chutney. Ratna Cafe is famous only for Idly Sambhar and this hotel is in Chennai for many years. Any hotel at Mylapore area is famous for these tiffin items.
- Cafe Shops: There many cafe shops in Chennai having varieties of coffee available all over the world. Some of the café shops for hang out are Coffee Day, Barista and Mocha Cafe.
Below we have a list of things to do in Chennai and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Chennai getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Chennai with confidence.