Batterie D'azeville, CherbourgCurrently Closed
- Address: The Road, 50310 Azeville, France, Cherbourg
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-0233406305
- Ticket Price: 5 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Architecture
About Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg
One of the first buildings of the Atlantic wall in France, The Battery of Azeville is equipped with four powerful casemates equipped with 105mm Schneider guns. Spread over the Manchegan inland, The Battery is known for the battle on the night of June 5, 1944, when it came into action against the American landing at Utah beach. Battery and its undergrounds can now be visited independently with the help of an audio-guided tour (available in English,French, German, Itlalian and Dutch). Detailed explanations of the built of the bunkers, everyday lives of the 170 soldiers of the battery and the course of the battle are provided on the tour. Several camouflage paintings have been reconstructed at the site, using the photographs taken just after the war as references. The site serves as a popular picnic spot in the region.Highlights and must sees include:
- The battery equipped with 4 powerful casemates equipped with the 105mm Schneider guns.
- Audio-guided tour explaining the history of the battery and the course of the battle.
- Reconstructed camouflage paintings
- Outdoor movie projection about the history of wartime, every evening.
- A popular picnic spot, accompanied by picnic music
Batterie D'azeville Information
- The ticket office closes 1 hour before the closing time of the site.
Batterie D'azeville Ticket Prices
- EUR 2: Children
- EUR 3.60: Adult groups, per head
- EUR 4: Students
How To reach Batterie D'azeville by Public Transport
- Walk or hire a taxi.
- Ask a local for the bus details.
Restaurants Near Batterie D'azeville
- L’EscaleRaveno, L’Eucalyptus
- Hotel du midi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cherbourg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cherbourg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Batterie D'azeville
95% of people who visit Cherbourg include Batterie D'azeville in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
38.53% of people start their Batterie D'azeville visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Batterie D'azeville
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Batterie D'azeville
Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg Reviews
Well designed visit. Worth it to know how the underground tunnels were build as well as each part of the bunker structure. A lot of history can be learned here! Definitely worth it. Ask for the audio guide!
The battery has a really good audioguide ( i think in the end it said it was made in co-operation with the history section of the university of Caen ) that explains a lot about D-Day and the battery of course, but also about the life of the soldiers before and their relation to the villigers. Really liked this one and would recomend it over visiting the Battery of Crisbeque
Tunnel experience is awesome. Several bunkers in good condition with some unique camouflage on the outsides.
Good conservation. You need to pay to visit into
The Germans were well prepared - worth a visit to see how.
All QuestionsBatterie d'azeville
Find places near Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg
Bar de la Fontaine 18 rue de la Fontaine2.748 km away
Marie Noël 3 place Ancien Hôtel de Ville1.783 km away
Bignon Daniel 2 route du Cinq Juin 19441.77 km away
La Bourgetterie 1 la Bourgetterie2.697 km away
Leblond Annick 2 chât Fontenay1.061 km away
- Attractions near Batterie D'azeville
- Musee Memorial De Bloody Gulch
- Manoir De Donville
- Musee De La Batterie De Crisbecq
- Moulin A Eau De Marie Ravenel
- Attelage Et Patrimoine En Cotentin
- Musee A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu
- Espace Loisirs De Collignon
- Parc Paysager De Bagatelle
- Musee De L'eau-de-vie Et Des Vieux Metiers
- Jardin Public
- Musee Regional Du Cidre