Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg
About Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg
Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: The Road, 50310 Azeville, France
Ticket Price: 5 EUR
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 1.1K times in trip plans
Historical Site, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
One of the first buildings of the Atlantic wall in France, The Battery of Azeville is equipped with four powerful casemates equipped with 105mm Schneider guns. Spread over the Manchegan inland, The Battery is known for the battle on the night of June 5, 1944, when it came into action against the American landing at Utah beach. Battery and its undergrounds can now be visited independently with the help of an audio-guided tour (available in English,French, German, Itlalian and Dutch). Detailed explanations of the built of the bunkers, everyday lives of the 170 soldiers of the battery and the course of the battle are provided on the tour. Several camouflage paintings have been reconstructed at the site, using the photographs taken just after the war as references. The site serves as a popular picnic spot in the region.Highlights and must sees include:
- The battery equipped with 4 powerful casemates equipped with the 105mm Schneider guns.
- Audio-guided tour explaining the history of the battery and the course of the battle.
- Reconstructed camouflage paintings
- Outdoor movie projection about the history of wartime, every evening.
- A popular picnic spot, accompanied by picnic music
Batterie D'azeville Information
- The ticket office closes 1 hour before the closing time of the site.
Batterie D'azeville Ticket Prices
- EUR 2: Children
- EUR 3.60: Adult groups, per head
- EUR 4: Students
How To reach Batterie D'azeville by Public Transport
- Walk or hire a taxi.
- Ask a local for the bus details.
Restaurants Near Batterie D'azeville
- L’EscaleRaveno, L’Eucalyptus
- Hotel du midi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cherbourg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cherbourg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Batterie D'azeville, Cherbourg Reviews - Write a Review
Well designed visit. Worth it to know how the underground tunnels were build as well as each part of the bunker structure. A lot of history can be learned here! Definitely worth it. Ask for the audio guide!
The battery has a really good audioguide ( i think in the end it said it was made in co-operation with the history section of the university of Caen ) that explains a lot about D-Day and the battery of course, but also about the life of the soldiers before and their relation to the villigers. Really liked this one and would recomend it over visiting the Battery of Crisbeque
Tunnel experience is awesome. Several bunkers in good condition with some unique camouflage on the outsides.
Good conservation. You need to pay to visit into
The Germans were well prepared - worth a visit to see how.
- Nearby Attractions
- Le Grand Depart
- Labyrinthe La Cle Des Champs
- Manoir De La Coquerie
- Green Beach
- Le Redoutable
- Sarah Aires Photography
- Presbytere Nd Du Voeu
- Objectif Multimedia - Sites Internet Cherbourg
- Ferry Terminal
- Cherbourg Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Cherbourg
- What to See in 48 Hours in Cherbourg
- What to See in 72 Hours in Cherbourg
- How to Spend 5 Days in Cherbourg
- How to Spend 6 Days in Cherbourg
- How to Spend 7 Days in Cherbourg