Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu
- Address: 4 Rue Notre Dame du Voeu, 50100 Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, France
- Phone: +33-233935202
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids
Eglise Notre-Dame Du Voeu (The Abbey of our Lady of the Vow), is a catholic religious building located in Cherbourg. Empress Matilda founded the site in 1145. The abbey, away from the fortress of Cherbourg was looted and burned many times over the time and then was abandoned by the monks before the French Revolution. After a first partial classification of the site as a historical monument in 1913, the convent building was not accompanied by a backup plan. Bought by the city in 1961, the abbey went through a gradual consolidation and restoration process for 40 years. The buildings, ruins and floors of the former abbey were fully classified as a historical monument in 2002. The west door of the church, walled in 1759 and rediscovered in the works of military engineering in 1892, is on display in the public garden. Highlights and must sees include:
- The stained glass, provided by the Didron workshop
- The large fireplace in the abbey house
- The west door of the church
Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu Travel Tips
- No photographs during services and celebrations.
Entrance Ticket Details For Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu
- Entry is free.
Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu Hours
- Call before you visit to verify timings.
How to Reach Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu
- Walk or hire a taxi
- Ask a local for the bus details
- Le Bel Canto
- Restaurant Inter Administratif
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Cherbourg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cherbourg and book an accommodation of your choice.
15.16% of people who visit Cherbourg include Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
50% of people start their Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Eglise Notre Dame Du Voeu