Doi Suthep-pui National Park2553 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +66-53210244
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: National Park, Family And Kids, Monastery , Hill, Picnic Spot
Looming over the city like guardian spirits and providing a sanctuary of forest and mountain cool air, Chiang Mai's sacred peaks, Doi Suthep (1676m) and Doi Pui (1685m) were used by the city's founders as a divine compass in locating an auspicious position. Suthep was named after the hermit Sudeva, who lived on the mountain's slopes for many years, and is the site of Chiang Mai's holy temple Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.
Portions of the mountains form a 265-sq-km national park that contains a mix of wilderness, hill-tribe villages and tourist attractions, including Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. Despite human encroachment, the park is still an excellent forest playground for city dwellers. Most people stick to the main road, visiting the temple, the winter palace and one of the touristy Hmong villages, altogether bypassing the forested interior.
The eastern side of the mountain stays green and cool almost year-round. The mountain ascends from the humid lowlands into the cool (and sometimes even cold) cloud belt with moss growing on the curbs and mist wafting across the road. Thriving in the diverse climate are more than 300 bird species and nearly 2000 species of ferns and flowering plants. During the rainy season, butterflies bloom as abundantly as the flowers.
Doi Suthep-pui National Park Travel Tips
- There is concession in the ticket price for children under 14 years.
- Accommodation for camping and stay at bungalows is available.
- The park fee is collected at some of the park's waterfalls. There is no park fee charged to visit the attractions along the main road, though the attractions have their own admission prices.
- Hiking, mountain biking, camping bird watching and waterfall spotting activities are available.
How to Reach Doi Suthep-pui National Park
- You can take a tuk-tuk or a minibus taxi from the main city.
- Galaxy restaurant
- Baan Rai Yam yen
- S & P lucky plaza
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chiang Mai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chiang Mai and book an accommodation of your choice.
54.76% of people who visit Chiang Mai include Doi Suthep-pui National Park in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
32.7% of people start their Doi Suthep-pui National Park visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Doi Suthep-pui National Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Doi Suthep-pui National Park