Wat Phra SinghCurrently Open
- Address: Woramahaviharn, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Timings: 06:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture
This is undoubtedly Chiang Mai's most visited temple and owes its fame to the fact that it houses the city's most revered Buddha image, Phra Singh (Lion Buddha), and it has a fine collection of classic Lanna art and architecture.
Phra Singh is housed in Wihan Lai Kham, a small chapel to the rear of the temple grounds next to the chedi. The exterior chapel displays the Lanna characteristics of a three-tiered roofline and carved gables. The interior of the temple features sumptuous lai·krahm (gold pattern) stenciling on its interior back wall.
Wat Phra Singh's main chedi displays classic Lanna style with its octagonal base. Closer to the entrance is the main wi-hahn (sanctuary), which houses a bigger but less important Buddha known as Thong Thip. This temple has royal associations, indicated by the garuda (the royal symbol) displayed on the front of the main wi-hahn.
Wat Phra Singh Travel Tips
- It is a religious place, so try to keep intact the sanctity of the place and make way for the local devotees.
- Do not photograph without permission.
How to Reach Wat Phra Singh
- You can take a tuk-tuk or a minibus taxi from the main city.
- Pak do restaurant
- Log terrace restaurant
- Mon and kurts
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chiang Mai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chiang Mai and book an accommodation of your choice.
86.25% of people who visit Chiang Mai include Wat Phra Singh in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
60.83% of people start their Wat Phra Singh visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Wat Phra Singh
63.33% of people prefer walking in order to reach Wat Phra Singh