Wat Phra That Doi SuthepCurrently Open
- Address: Tambon Suthep, Amphoe Mueang, Chaing Mai, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Timings: 06:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +66-53295003
- Ticket Price: 30 THB
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, View Point, Statue, Family And Kids, Monastery
A must see, on any visit to Chiang Mai, is the wondrous and holy temple of Wat Phra That which is located near the top of Doi Suthep (Mount Suthep). Built as a Buddhist monastery in 1383 it is still a working monastery today, this breathtaking architecture, statues, murals and shrines will definitely make you pause and have a better look.
The intricately carved 300 steps of the mythical Naga Serpent Staircase will take you to the site where you will marvel at the top of a golden spire that decorates the centre of the temple. The historical murals and shrines decorate the walls of the mini enclave and have a alluring emerald Buddha statue on display.
Outside this central enclave area you will find the shrine to the White Elephant and the story of how the temple on Doi Suthep was founded. There is a wide walkway around the main temple which leads you to a large viewing terrace with terrific views down over Chiang Mai, weather permitting. Just past the viewing terrace is one of the world’s largest gongs, which makes an earthly rich sound when struck. Give it a try, it is allowed.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Travel Tips
- Camera is allowed everywhere except for the main prayer hall of the temple.
- Lift and cable car facility is available for those who do not wish to take the climb of 300 steps.
- It is a religious place, so try to keep intact the sanctity of the place and make way for the local devotees.
- The climb can be tiring, so it is best to carry a water bottle.
How to Reach Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
- You can take a tuk-tuk or a minibus taxi from the main city.
- Chiang Mai coffee shop
- Sushi jiro Japanese restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chiang Mai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chiang Mai and book an accommodation of your choice.
72.27% of people who visit Chiang Mai include Wat Phra That Doi Suthep in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
58.3% of people start their Wat Phra That Doi Suthep visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
93.9% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wat Phra That Doi Suthep