Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center98 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 400 S State St, Chicago, IL 60605, United States, 60605
- Timings: 09:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-3127474300
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Library, Architecture , Community And Government, Libraries
The Harold Washington Library Centre is the central library for the Chicago Public Library System. It is a full service library. It provides for free WiFi and internet services. The building is very spacious with a rooftop garden penthouse. After a lot of hassles related to funding, the building finally got constructed in 1987. Interestingly, a design competition was held in the city to decide the sculpture of the building. The exteriors of the sculpture is modelled after the Beaux-Art style. In the interiors, all public doors lead to the library. The public library’s main branch features a mix of classic and modern architecture along with a winter garden.
Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center Travel Tips
- For library membership or e-card information check the official website.
- Library cards of a list of other libraries can be used to access this place. You can find that list on the website.
- The available facilities include: Books, e-books, audiobooks, movies & TV and music
- Facilities for kids and teens are also available.
How to Reach Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center
- By Metro: Jackson (Red) is the nearest subway station to this place.
- By Bus: Prairie Trailways bus station is the nearest bus station to this hotel.
- By Taxi: Pure Taxi Media Taxi Service is the nearby taxi service to this place.
- By Water Taxi: Shoreline water taxi is the nearest taxi service to this place.
- By Bike: A lot of bike rental services are available throughout the city.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chicago before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chicago and book an accommodation of your choice.
0.94% of people who visit Chicago include Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center in their plan
33.33% of people start their Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center visit around 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center
Chicago Public Library: Harold Washington Library Center Reviews & Ratings
This is the one of the best libraries in Chicago. This location has various floors, charger plugs, a room for wedding event, books, computers, and other good resources. The library is surrounded by trains, buses, and stores. The only problem with this library that it has a lot of homeless people in here so be aware of your surroundings. Besides that it is a very good library.
love this one. stuff is so nice. selection of books are crazy amazing. my get away from busy mind and city energy. quite and nice
Such a great library. Filled with so many books and resources including computers and printers. There are dozens of different places to sit so it never feels crowded. The Winter Garden on the 9th floor is beautiful.
This is a beautiful library in both content and architecture. As a library card carrying bookworm this place gave me goosebumps. When I make the move to Chicago I'll probably spend more time here than at home.
I would come here plenty of times while studying at Depaul University right across the street. This is a really cool place to explore and just walk around. It’s also a very good community center. There are several levels and it’s easy to get lost but the signs point you to where you need to go. My favorite part about this place is the winter garden room on the top floor. It’s one of the best places to eat your lunch or even study or read a book. The architecture on the outside is pretty well known and is a staple in Chicago. The security guards are also very kind and do a good job answering your questions.