The Art Institute Of Chicago9250 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 111 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL, 60603, United States
- Timings: 10:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 25 USD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Cafe, Restaurant, Leisure, Photo Gallery
The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the largest and oldest museums in USA, founded in 1879, . The museum is visited by approximately 1.5 million visitors every year. It has 11 curatorial departments and features 300,000 artworks. A Beaux-Art triumph, the building was built in 1893 and over a century, has gathered some priceless collections.
You can explore African and Indian art, American art, Ancient and Byzantine art, Asian art, Contemporary art and European art. Some of the most popular paintings housed inside the museum include the Self-Portrait by Vincent Van Gogh, Captive Slave and the Old Man with a Gold Chain. The photography collection is massive, as is the collection of arms and armor, or Asian art work dating back to about 5000 years ago. The Museum's recent expansion added a shop, a cafe and a restaurant, so yes, take the whole day off and spend it here, with lunch in between exhibits.
The Art Institute Of Chicago Travel Tips
- You can use Chicago’s bike-sharing program to reach the museum
- Flowers, balloons, food or drinks are not accepted in the checkroom
- Photography and videography are permitted under certain museum guidelines.
- Talking on mobile phones is only permitted in non-gallery premises of the museum.
Following items are not allowed in the museum:
- Art materials other than pencil (including ink pens)
- Backpacks and backpack baby carriers
- Bags, camera bags, or purses larger than 13 x 17 x 4 inches
- Shopping bags
- Flowers or balloons
- Food or drink
- Tripods, flash attachments, video cameras and selfie sticks.
- Umbrellas (small umbrellas can be stowed in bags)
- Wrapped packages (gifts)
Entrance Ticket Details For The Art Institute Of Chicago
Art institute of Chicago prices -
- Adults: USD 25
- Chicago Residents Adults: USD 20
- Illinois Residents Adults: USD 22
- Seniors: USD 19
- Chicago Residents Seniors: USD 14
- Illinois Residents Seniors: USD 16
- Students: USD 19
- Chicago Residents Students: USD 14
- Illinois Residents Students: USD 16
- Teens: USD 19
- Chicago Residents Teens: Free
- Illinois Residents Teens: USD 16
- Art institute of Chicago admission for children under 14: Free
- Illinois Residents every Thursday entry from 5 to 8 pm: Free
- Adult Fast Pass: USD 35
- Senior Fast Pass: USD 29
- Student Fast Pass: USD 29
- Adult Skydeck Combo: USD 46
- Adult Navy Pier Combo: USD 39
- Child Navy Pier Combo: USD 12
The Art Institute Of Chicago Hours
- Everyday: 10:30 am – 5 pm
- Thursday : 10:30 am – 8 pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
How to Reach The Art Institute Of Chicago
You can reach the Michigan Avenue Entrance of the museum by these routes:
- Indiana: Indiana toll road to Congress Plaza
- South Suburbs: Dan Ryan Expressway to Congress Plaza
- Wisconsin and North Suburbs: Eden Expressway- Kennedy Expressway- Monroe Street
- O’Hare Airport and Northwest Suburbs: Kennedy Expressway- Monroe Street east
- West Suburbs: Eisenhower Expressway to Congress Plaza
- Southwest Suburbs: Stevenson expressway- Lake Shore Drive- Michigan Avenue
- Capital Grille
- Yolk Rasp
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chicago before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chicago and book an accommodation of your choice.
86.17% of people who visit Chicago include The Art Institute Of Chicago in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
65.09% of people start their The Art Institute Of Chicago visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see The Art Institute Of Chicago
50.36% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Art Institute Of Chicago