The coffee capital of Karnataka is located in the Malnad region and its name literally means “The Land of the Younger Daughter”. Legends have it that this piece of land was given out as a dowry and hence the name Chikamagalur.
A picturesque small town, nestled at the foothills of the Mullayanagiri district has turned out to be a perfect break to escape from the hustling city life. A perfect weekend getaway spot, it can do only good if you are in the mood to extend your stay here and explore the attractions and nearby places or just revel in the scenic surroundings. Tourism in Chikamagalur is an all year round affair. Thanks to its ideal weather, picturesque surroundings, religious destinations, sanctuaries, refreshing waterfalls and of course lush green coffee plantations!
Surrounded with beautiful hills like Mullayanagiri, Baba BudanGiri and Kudremukh with pleasant waterfalls, Chikmagalur has become a hot spot for trekkers. On the other hand, religious sites like Annapurneshwari Temple, DevirammaTempple and Torana Ganapati Temple have turned out to be important for religious people. All in all, Chikmagalur is a paradise that has everything that Mother Nature has for her children.
Plan a trip and explore things to do in Chikamagalur and experience a memorable journeyor a vacation away from the bustling city life. Each one of you should visit Chikmagalur at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Chikmagalur.
Essential travel information and Chikmagalur tips for your visit
- Time Zone: IST (UTC +5:30)
- Currency: Their official currency is Rupee.
Electricity and Internert
- Voltage: 220V and 240V AC.
- For internert – Free Wi Fi is available in some of the hotels.
- Kannada. However, Hindi and English are also spoken sometimes.
- Security: for ambulance – 102; for police, medical and fire emergencies – 108; local police – 100; fire service – 101.
- Opt for homestay when you plan to visit Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary and the coffee plantation.
- Tipping is optional.