Visit Chittorgarh - Best of Chittorgarh
An emblem of Rajputana Valour and architecture, Chittorgarh offers an insider’s journey into the history and culture of Rajasthan. Chittor, the legendary city in Rajasthan is home to what is known to be the largest fort complex of India and once the seat of Rajputana reign. A fascinating historical site, Chittorgarh unravels the stories of romantic past and the chivalry associated with it. However, tragedy comes enveloped in this golden past as the fort also saw jauhars being conducted for the sake of preserving honour and chastity of Rajputana women. Whenever the city was threatened by powerful Mughal enemies, the women and children chose to annihilate themselves in the funeral pyre so as to escape any future dishonour. For this, the city still holds a reverence in the form of jauhar mela.
As you walk down the city and the fort, you will come across ruins, temples and streets that speak of local culture and tradition. Intermeshed with the history of this city are the tales of Rani Padmini, saint poetess Meera and Maharana Pratap. A stay over here will offer you a view of the beautiful mountainous region as well as stunning architecture. From the Chittor fort, you can enjoy beautiful views of the city, surrounding mountains and river Gambhiri and Berach(a Tributary of Banas). From foreigners to Indian tourists, from art/history lovers to nature enthusiasts, Chittorgarh enamors everyone. Also, do keep in mind that an itinerary to Chittorgarh cannot be a complete without tasting the authentic Rajasthani cuisine here.
Chittorgarh Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Chittorgarh tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Indian Time Zone, UTC+05:30hours. Daylight Saving Time (DST) changes do not necessarily occur on the same date every year. Note that Chittorgarh uses a special half-hour time zone.
- Currency: Currency used in Chittorgarh is Indian Rupees. (Ã¢‚Â¹)
- Electricity: 220-240 volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second.
- Internet: 3G connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken in Chittorgarh is Hindi and local Rajasthani.
- Security: Police Control Room (Chittorgarh) - +911472240088, Ambulance: 0141 4800000
- Tipping: Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered in Chittorgarh.
- Purdah literally means "curtain", which is a practice of preventing men from seeing women. Using purdah has great significance and importance in Rajasthani custom.
- The heat in Chittorgarh can be torturous and one would need sufficient sun protection such as shades and caps. It would also do to bring along a sunscreen lotion for those with delicate skin to avoid heat burn. Wear a strong pair of shoes while climbing the Chittorgarh fort to avoid getting hurt and spraining ones ankles.
- The fort is massive and hiring bicycles would ensure that your exploration of the place is not as tiring. One could get lost in the fort, so make sure that you travel in groups and with local guides.
Are you looking for a Chittorgarh travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Chittorgarh Tourist Information
121 Views8 Days 7 NightsTrip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Chittaurgarh, Jodhpur, Udaipur, PushkarBy: Guest UserCity: Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Pushkar, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Chittaurgarh
139 Views8 Days 7 NightsTrip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Chittaurgarh, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Udaipur, PushkarBy: Guest UserCity: Jaipur, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Pushkar, Jodhpur, Chittaurgarh
220 Views9 Days 8 NightsTrip to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Chittaurgarh, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Udaipur, PushkarBy: Guest UserCity: Jaipur, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Pushkar, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Chittaurgarh
198 Views7 Days 6 NightsTrip to Jaipur, Chittaurgarh, Jodhpur, Udaipur, PushkarBy: Guest UserCity: Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Pushkar, Chittaurgarh