By the banks of the Yangtze River is this truly wonderful place full of lush greens, clear water and some of the rarest of rare animals. Built in 1953, and opened to public in 1955, the Chongqing Zoo is not just a place to visit animals but also a centre for their research and protection.
With about 230 species of fauna ranging from herbivores, amphibians, birds, fishes and wild animals, the Chongqing zoo is a beautiful place worth a visit. The main focus of the zoo is the pandas. Strolling along you will find many pandas, both the giant panda and the red panda, happily munching on leaves or sun-bathing. Caves, streams, rocks and pavilions have been designed for the benefit of these pandas. There is more than animal watching that visitors can engage in Chongqing zoo. Here one will find –
- An amusements park, with fun rides such as the carousel and inertia pulley
- A science classroom where kids can learn about animals in an interactive way
- A dry skating arena
- An outdoor stage
- The zoo tea house
Spread over 111 acres, the Chongqing zoo is home to about 4000 animals including giraffes, orangutans, elephants, kangaroos, deer, wolves etc. It also houses rare species like the South China Tiger, clouded leopard, Yakin, Argali and golden cat.
Right from the premises of the zoo, the Three Gorges are also visible.
- Do not feed the animals.
- You can store your luggage at the visitor centre at the main entrance of the zoo.
- Avoid visiting on a rainy day.
- CNY 20 in December and January.
- Free entry for children below the height of 1.2 m.
- Free entry for the elderly above the age of 70.
- 50% off for under 18 and elders aged between 60 to 69 years.
- The science classroom is open from 10 am to 4:30 pm.
- By bus: Take local bus no. 148, 204, 207, 229, 310, 341, 463, 471, 475 or 962B to the Zoo bus stop.
- By subway: Take local subway line 2 to get off at Zoo Station.
- Kun Ge HaiXian Cun
- Palace Dish (Jia Yu Plaza)
- ShanJiao WuYu Zhuang
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chongqing before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chongqing and book an accommodation of your choice.
50.22% of people who visit Chongqing include Chongqing Zoo in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
57.14% of people start their Chongqing Zoo visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Chongqing Zoo
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Chongqing Zoo