Showing a reflection of what Chongqing must have looked like centuries ago is this ancient little town of Ci Qi Kou. The town got its name, literally translating to the porcelain village, due its significance for porcelain production in the Ming and Qing dynasties. Situated at the banks of Jia Ling River, today this lovely little town is bursting with colours and is full of experiences.
With its 12 alleys showcasing ancient architecture and a bustling marketplace feel to it, Ci Qi Kou is much loved by tourists and has quite a few attractions. Landmarks of Ci Qi Kou include –
- The Compund of Zhong which stands for more than 120 years
- The Bayu Dwellings Collection
- The Bao Lun Buddhist Temple built about 600 years ago
- The ancient Han Lin Academy
Culturally, Ci Qi Kou puts on display the best of Chongqing. One must not miss-
- The various tea bars, each with their own distinct style
- The ateliers, holding works by local artists
- The Shu embroidery workshops displaying the craft famous across China
Various customs such as Chuntai Drama, Dragon Dance, Pingshu, Dragon boat race, temple fair have followed through the centuries in the town and continue even today. The Ci Qi Kou has some of the most exquisite experiences for your taste buds to offer. There are shops selling the Chongqing old yoghurt, Salt and Pepper Peanut, Chen Mahua and spicy noodles. You can even enjoy a barbecue at the riverside.
- Explore the town on a leisurely stroll.
- The riverside is a great site for kite flying.
- Visit in spring or winter.
- Metro line 1 gets you to Ciqikou station.
- Bus operational from in front of Chongqing Grand Hotel to Ciqikou.
- Take bus 202, 220, 237, 467, 503, 808, 843 and get off at Ciqikou Main Entrance.
- Chen Chang Chen Twist Silver Town
- Tang HuoGuo
- One Town Chiken Gizzard
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chongqing before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chongqing and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Chongqing include Ci Qi Kou in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
90.57% of people start their Ci Qi Kou visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Ci Qi Kou
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ci Qi Kou
Though I am a Chongqing local still like to visit here and feel the passion of this city.
Each city has its own preserved ancient old town. It is so good to see preservation mixed with modern culture.
A little disappointed that we didn't head to any of the bars to people sing.. but it's been a fun walk :)
An ancient street tha has story to tell. Youcan come visit earlier in the morning, so it won't be too crowded. Have a lot of food stalls and art stands. You can find mala everywhere here.
Nice touristic street with many goods, food and drinks.