Located in the Yuzhong district near the Jialing River, this museum was formerly the residence of General Joseph W. Stilwell, an American army man who helped the Chinese in the war against Japan. The museum honours his memory today and relays another part of the story of World War.
A bust of the great General greats you at the courtyard of the museum. At the Stilwell Museum one will find –
- The conference room consisting of furniture and objects of the General’s time such as the gramophone, a mini cinematograph and a military map.
- The office with the military radio and telephone.
- The living and dining area with objects from the General’s life.
- The first floor basement room turned exhibition rooms with valuable items and over 200 pictures of the General and his mission in China.
The museum relays a lot of information about the General, Flying Tigers and the Hump Route, all of which form a part of the American history as well. The guard room to the museum is still preserved in the way it used to be with the same furniture and outdated telephone adding to the museum’s authentic war time feel. Also military vehicles have been put on display in the museum. There are hundreds of articles inside the museum including uniforms, manuscripts, pictures and furniture. A monument stands proud in the centre of the museum courtyard with an epigraph written by former American President, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
How to Reach Stilwell Museum
- Take light rail and get off at Liziba Station.
- Yapengzi Old Duck Soup
- Chongqing Qiqi Hot Pot
- Chongqing Qinma Hot Pot
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chongqing before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chongqing and book an accommodation of your choice.
5.4% of people who visit Chongqing include Stilwell Museum in their plan
85.71% of people start their Stilwell Museum visit around 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Stilwell Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Stilwell Museum