Igreja San Francisco De AssisCurrently Closed
- Address: Ouro Preto - MG, 35400-000, Brazil
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +55-3135513282
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Igreja San Francisco De Assis - Review
This beautiful 18th century Rococo Catholics church was unique when first built in Brazil. Though it is not very large, it is considered to be a masterpiece by Brazilian sculptor and artist Antonio Francisco Lisboa, also known as Aleijadinho.
The highlights of the church are:
- The circular bell towers
- The ornate decorations on the pulpit, the altar, and the ceiling
- The gilding and the gold leaf decorations
- A large number of religious sculptures
- The friezes above the doors and windows
In the basement of the church there is a small museum dedicated to the artist and to the making of the church.
Igreja San Francisco De Assis Information
- The English translations of items inside of the church are inadequate, so try and get somebody local to translate them for you.
How To reach Igreja San Francisco De Assis by Public Transport
- Drive to here. Ask locals for direction.
- Take a taxi.
- Ask locals for public transport information.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ouro Preto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ouro Preto and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Igreja San Francisco De Assis
95% of people who visit Ouro Preto include Igreja San Francisco De Assis in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
75.71% of people start their Igreja San Francisco De Assis visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Igreja San Francisco De Assis
78.16% of people prefer walking in order to reach Igreja San Francisco De Assis
Igreja San Francisco De Assis Map
Igreja San Francisco De Assis Trips
4 Views3 Days 2 Nights3 Day Trip to Cidade Ouro Preto from Cidade Ouro PBy: Guest User
Igreja San Francisco De Assis, Ouro Preto Reviews
The most beautiful church in Ouro Preto, the Igreja de São Francisco de Assis, was begun in 1765, and no other contains more works by Aleijadinho. The magniﬁcent exterior soapstone panels are his, as is virtually all the virtuoso carving, in both wood and stone, inside; Aleijadinho also designed the church and supervised its construction. In 1801 the church commissioners contracted the best painter of the barroco mineiro, Manuel da Costa Ataíde, to decorate the ceilings. It took him nine years, using natural dyes made from plant juices and powdered iron ore, and his work has stood the test of time far better than other church paintings of the period. The squirming mass of cherubs and saints is framed within a cunning trompe l’oeil eﬀect, which extends the real Baroque pillars on the sides of the nave into painted ones on the ceiling, making it seem like an open-air canopy through which you can glimpse clouds. There are also painted azulejos in the apse that look remarkably like the real thing.
Very beautiful place. It's a bit out of the way but I highly recommend visiting if you're in the area. We made the 3 hour drive from Viçosa and only stayed for the day, but the six hours on the road were worth seeing such a magnificent and historic town. The church has a stunning mural on the ceiling. I hope to make it back to visit again one day.
A masterpiece of Brazilian baroque architecture.
Pretty amazing church. Small but the murals and floor plan is amazing. There's even a cemetery near by.
All QuestionsIgreja san francisco de assis
- Chafariz Na Fragosela De Cima Em Viseu
- Fonte De Fragosela Em Viseu
- Pelourinho De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento Brasil Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Escultura Em Homenagem Ao Comendador José Nunes Martins Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca Do Outeiro Do Rato Em Carregal Do Sal
- Solar Dos Soares De Albergaria
- Casa Grande De Oliveira Do Conde Em Tondela
- Fonte De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Pelourinho De Alvarelhos Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca 1 Do Ameal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Monumento à Independência De Portugal Em Carregal Do Sal
- Penedo Da Víbora Em Carregal Do Sal
- Inscrições De Oliveira Do Conde Em Carregal Do Sal
- Orca De Santo Tisco Em Carregal Do Sal