Minas Chico ReiCurrently Open
- Address: R. Dom Silverio, 108 - Antônio Dias, Ouro Preto - MG, 35400-000, Brazil
- Timings: 08:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +55-3135522866
- Ticket Price: 10 BRL
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Tunnel
This legendary gold excavation tunnel belonged to a slave-turned-king now called Chico Rei. He was among the tribe of slaves brought here sometime in the past, from Africa, who eventually gain his freedom and came to own the mine he has been condemned to work in. Once upon a time this mine was known as Encardideira. They say that the length of all the galleries in this mine may be as long as 18 miles.
Very little of these galleries is now accessible to tourists. The full history of the mine can be learned at the site itself. There is a small museum with historical documents, tools, gold nuggets and exhibitions on history. To get into the minds main body you have to ride a rail car for 315 meters, 120 meters below the surface. You will find a natural lake over there, 8 meters deep.
Minas Chico Rei Travel Tips
- The time and prizes given may not be fully updated. Please call the number provided for the times and prices on the day of your intended visit.
- It is possible that you may have to contact a local tour guide to be able to access the mine.
Entrance Ticket Details For Minas Chico Rei
- R$5 for students and seniors over 60.
- Free for children under 7 years of age.
How to Reach Minas Chico Rei
- Drive to here. Ask locals for direction.
- Take a taxi.
- Ask locals for public transport information.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ouro Preto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ouro Preto and book an accommodation of your choice.
17.23% of people who visit Ouro Preto include Minas Chico Rei in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
81.82% of people start their Minas Chico Rei visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Minas Chico Rei
50% of people prefer walking in order to reach Minas Chico Rei