Cinque Terre Tourism
Visit Cinque Terre - Best of Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre comprises of five villages of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso, that are situated on the rugged coast of the Italian Riviera. The coastline, the five villages, and the surrounding hillsides are all part of the Cinque Terre National Park that has been listed as a UNESCO world heritage site. The history of the town dates back to the 11th century. Monterosso and Vernazza were the first villages to settle. The other surrounding villages grew later, under military and political supremacy of the Republic of Genoa. The ethereal landscape is home to some carefully built terraces, on the rugged steep coastline, overlooking the sea, pebble beaches, mountains, forests, cobbled streets, magnificent architecture, medieval structures, outdoor activities, adventure sports, rich traditions and a vibrant history. The lack of corporate development, the absence of automobiles and the pristine beauty of the natural sights surrounding the town, all add to the charm of the beautiful town. Today, the land of five villages boasts a plethora of scenic views, intersecting with the enigmatic settlement on this beautiful landscape. Cinque Terre has been preserving its art, history and cultural traditions like agriculture, wine producing and marine culture for centuries. Visiting Cinque Terre feels almost like taking a step back in time. The villages are largely isolated from the major human cities and towns, which has helped the villages preserve its authenticity, culture and traditions. Cinque Terre is the perfect getaway destination to travel, explore and indulge in leisure and relaxing activities.
Cinque Terre Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Cinque Terre tips for your visit
- Cinque Terre Time Zone: Central European Time Zone(UTC+01:00)
- Currency: Euro
- Electricity: Cinque Terreuses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C) and grounded 2 pin connections (Type F).
- Languages: The official language of Cinque Terre is Italian. Other minority languages include English and German.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 113, Ambulance: 118, Fire: 115, Sea Rescue: 1530
- Tipping is not necessary as tipping is not a part of the Italian Culture. The waiters are well paid and are entitled to fixed salaries.
- Copy documents such as credit cards, itineraries, emergency contact information and important phone numbers. Leave copies of documents with a reliable person.
- Familiarize yourself with local traffic laws and customs.
- Pickpockets are often attracted to crowded places. Be aware of someone who bumps, shoves or gets too close.
- Do not leave any articles such as phones, purses and wallets unattended.
- Select sightseeing companies and guides carefully. Make sure they are legitimate. Check with your hotel staff for recommendations.
- Do not enter unmarked waters or waters of unknown death. It could be very risky.
- Do not litter. The five villages of Cinque Terra are a part of the Cinque Terre National Park which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Make sure you cause no harm to the flora and fauna.
- It is advisable not to visit Cinque Terra by car as it is not allowed inside the village premises and it is an expensive and inconvenient mode of transportation.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Cinque Terre and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Cinque Terre- Know before you go to Cinque Terre
Facts and Stats for Cinque Terre*
Pollution Statistics in Cinque Terre
Know the pollution level of Cinque Terre before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 41.67 (Moderate)
Water Pollution 66.67 (High)
Noise and Light Pollution 58.33 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 75 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 33.33 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 75 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 41.67 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 50 (Moderate)
Cinque Terre: Crime and Safety
How safe is Cinque Terre for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Cinque Terre.
Burglary and Theft 31.25 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 18.75 (Very Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 43.75 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 50 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 37.5 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 43.75 (Moderate)
Attacks 37.5 (Low)
Drug offense 43.75 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 87.5 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 58.33 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 37.5 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 25 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 16.67 (Very Low)
Living in Cinque Terre - Quality of Life
Safety Index 66.28 (High)
Pollution Index 57.47 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 27.5 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 82.25 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 91.67 (Very High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 7.57 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 92.56 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Cinque Terre
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Cinque Terre
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.15 USD
International Movie per seat 9.92 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 41.35 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 97.68 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 99.23 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Cinque Terre Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Cinque Terre
- Cities Near Cinque Terre
- Portofino Tourism
- Livorno Tourism
- Florence Tourism
- Milan Tourism
- Siena Tourism
- Ferrara Tourism
- Bozzano Tourism
- Ronco Scrivia Tourism
- Rocca Dei Boiardo Tourism
- Top cities from Italy
- Rome Tourism
- Venice Tourism
- Naples Tourism
- Positano Tourism
- Catania Tourism
- Padua Tourism
- Sant'albino Tourism
- Lizzano Tourism
- Marmirolo Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Barcelona Tourism
- Pine Island Tourism
- Cherchell Tourism
- Ukhal Chana Tourism