Biblioteca Joanina100 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Pátio das Escolas da Universidade de Coimbra, 3004-531 Coimbra, Portugal
- Timings: 10:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-239242744
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Library, Family And Kids
This 18th century library, though a part of the University of Coimbra campus, is an attraction in its own right! Commissioned by King John V its interior is divided into three distinct parts:
- Noble Floor: Opulently decorated, this is the sight that most people come to see. Constructed from the richest and most exotic materials from around the globe, it has 40,000 volumes, and a huge portrait of King John V by Domenico Duprà.
- Academic Prison (Prisao Academica): The cells into which unruly students were banished were moved to the space under the library in 1773, into the old jail cells of the Palace
- The Intermediate Floor: Which functioned as the restricted depository of the library. A winding staircase from here was the only access to the prison.
Apparently, the library is also home to two small colonies of bats that are invaluable in the conservation of the books.
Biblioteca Joanina Hours
- The library opens every 20 minutes to accept a batch of 60 tourists.
- Closed during the Queima das Fitas Parade.
How to Reach Biblioteca Joanina
- Smtuc Elevator
- Bus routes: 1A, 34 e 103
- Walk to here.
- Drive to Praca de Republica and park there.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
Biblioteca Joanina Reviews & Ratings
Holy cow! The main library on the top floor is absolutely stunning. Incredible preservation of the three rooms upstairs. Unfortunate you can’t take pictures of it but completely worth checking out. The first floor was less than interesting and the second floor contained a small glimpse to the final floor. This made our day trip to Coinbra worth it
During our roundtrip in Portugal with our 9 months baby we always noticed great sensitivity for our needs and got priority access to all sites and monuments. The University of Coimbra grants a priority line to buy tickets as well, but there is NO priority access to visit the library. We were supposed to wait more than 2 hours and so we had to decline the visit. I believe this is a nonsense!
The tour 1 includes library, palace, church and science museum for the price of 12,5 euro for an adult. It is not expensive but the all three sites are overrated, basically it takes an hour to visit all three sites as they are relatively small. Library’s always crowded thus you may have to wait for admission that may occur in couple of hours from a moment you buy tickets. Additionally there may be a around 30 minutes line to the ticket desk but you can avoid it if go to the desk at the science museum. It is not allowed to take pictures in the most interesting halls of the library that is ridiculous. In general it is ok to see the university and museums.
I love books and this place is very cool. They use bats inside the library to control insects. No pictures allowed but the main library is very beautiful.
Stunning place... library on third floor is a charm
Hi can I buy tickets at the doorAnswer Report Abuse
The entry to Biblioteca Joanina is free.Report Abuse