Biblioteca JoaninaCurrently Closed
- Address: Pátio das Escolas da Universidade de Coimbra, 3004-531 Coimbra, Portugal
- Timings: 10:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-239242744
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Library, Family And Kids
This 18th century library, though a part of the University of Coimbra campus, is an attraction in its own right! Commissioned by King John V its interior is divided into three distinct parts:
- Noble Floor: Opulently decorated, this is the sight that most people come to see. Constructed from the richest and most exotic materials from around the globe, it has 40,000 volumes, and a huge portrait of King John V by Domenico Duprà.
- Academic Prison (Prisao Academica): The cells into which unruly students were banished were moved to the space under the library in 1773, into the old jail cells of the Palace
- The Intermediate Floor: Which functioned as the restricted depository of the library. A winding staircase from here was the only access to the prison.
Apparently, the library is also home to two small colonies of bats that are invaluable in the conservation of the books.
- The library opens every 20 minutes to accept a batch of 60 tourists.
- Closed during the Queima das Fitas Parade.
- Smtuc Elevator
- Bus routes: 1A, 34 e 103
- Walk to here.
- Drive to Praca de Republica and park there.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
The place inside is amazing, I don't understand why people think it's not worth to see it inside. If you visit the museum the library is worth to see. The only thing that could be not liked by a lot of people is the fact that you'll need to go in that place in a certain hour that you can't choose, and the fact that you can't take pictures for no reason in the most beautiful part of the library.
It says that there are bats in the library but you ,can't really see them I was very disappointed they should say that it is not really possible to see them
This library is highly overrated, there's practically nothing to see there and there is no guide to explain anything. The decoration is beautiful - especially the dark wood panels with oriental scenes -, but the 2 interlinked rooms are rather dark and quite small. There are fairer libraries in Europe and even in Portugal - Mafra, for example, might not be as ornate, but is architecturally vaster and, in my opinion, more impressive.
12 euro to enter the library? You cannot buy a ticket just for the library and it is only included in "programme 1" of the university sites, a ticket for which cost 12 euro! I only wanted to visit the library and arriving in Coimbra at 5pm, I did not have time to visit other sites which might have made the cost worthwhile. What a ripoff!
The queue to visit the library can be very long due to limited access of people. They let people enter in group of 60 and only for 20 minutes. Pictures are allowed only on the ground and first floor but without flash. No pictures can be taken instead at the second floor, where there is the most interesting part of the visit.
Hi can I buy tickets at the doorAnswer Report Abuse
The entry to Biblioteca Joanina is free.Report Abuse