Biblioteca Joanina, Coimbra
About Biblioteca Joanina, Coimbra
Biblioteca Joanina, Coimbra - Address, Phone Number
Address: Pátio das Escolas da Universidade de Coimbra, 3004-531 Coimbra, Portugal
Time Required: 00:30 Mins
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 86 times in trip plans
Library, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This 18th century library, though a part of the University of Coimbra campus, is an attraction in its own right! Commissioned by King John V its interior is divided into three distinct parts:
- Noble Floor: Opulently decorated, this is the sight that most people come to see. Constructed from the richest and most exotic materials from around the globe, it has 40,000 volumes, and a huge portrait of King John V by Domenico Duprà.
- Academic Prison (Prisao Academica): The cells into which unruly students were banished were moved to the space under the library in 1773, into the old jail cells of the Palace
- The Intermediate Floor: Which functioned as the restricted depository of the library. A winding staircase from here was the only access to the prison.
Apparently, the library is also home to two small colonies of bats that are invaluable in the conservation of the books.
Biblioteca Joanina Opening and Closing Hours
- The library opens every 20 minutes to accept a batch of 60 tourists.
- Closed during the Queima das Fitas Parade.
How To reach Biblioteca Joanina by Public Transport
- Smtuc Elevator
- Bus routes: 1A, 34 e 103
- Walk to here.
- Drive to Praca de Republica and park there.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
Biblioteca Joanina, Coimbra Reviews - Write a Review
Very nice library and impressive to see. You get a slot for entry because max. 60 people can enter at once. In our case it only took 15 minutes (in August 2017) but it can take significantly longer. Photos are not allowed and the staff is pretty strict about this. This place is for sure a must-see in Coimbra since it's one of the oldest libraries in Europe with a unique collection of roughly 60,000 books.
Fantastic historical place. Absolutely stunning. "No Photos" policy is outdated, unenforceable and counterproductive.
Stunning library, no pictures allowed inside sadly. Tickets are needed and there are specific times to enter.
Antique library. Upon entering the wide door of this library, i think i am in the Harry Potter's world. It is fascinating and very interesting to see "old library" like this.
An exceptional place that breathes fairy-tale. Ancient wood, book covers, ceiling paintings. Upon climbing a few stairs you find yourself in a different world, if only for a spell.