How to Reach Coimbra
HOW TO GET TO COIMBRA
- By Air: The most convenient airports for reaching Coimbra are Francisco Sa Carneiro Airport in Porto and the Portela Airport in Lisbon. There are enough flights flying to Coimbra from most of the major destinations in Europe.
- By Train: Every train connecting Porto and Lisbon stop at Coimbra-B which is a little far from the city but all tickets include a 5-minute train ride to Coimbra A (centre of Coimbra) known as Baixa de Coimbra (downtown). It takes an hour from Porto and an hour and 45 minutes from Lisbon. The train timings and availability can be found on the National Rail- CP.
- By Car: The A1 Highway is the best route to take if you are driving from Porto (1 hour) or Lisbon (2 hours).
- By Bus: The bus fare is normally cheaper that the train fares and are fast enough, also, the buses are very well connected to all the places in Portugal. The bus station is located at Av. Fernao de Magalhaes and is 10 minutes away on foot from the city centre or you can also take a local bus to the station.
HOW TO GET AROUND COIMBRA
- On Foot: Thanks to the gorgeous attractions and landmarks scattered all over the city, getting around on foot is one of the best options to see it all. Of course, the city’s hilly terrain makes waking shoes a must!
- By Bus: The local buses are operated by SMTUC - Transportes Urbanos de Coimbra and operate on circular routes around the city. Having a map of the network handy is recommended. Single journey ticket costs around 1 Euro and is valid for an hour. A 3.50 Euro ticket valid for a day can also be purchased.
- By Trolley Buses: The last operational trolleybuses of Portugal can be found in Coimbra, two routes (numbers 4 and 103) are available and although not super convenient for sightseeing, the transport is in itself a nice experience.
- By Car: Coimbra is tough city to drive in and also parking is a big deal so walking or taking local transport is a preferable option.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Coimbra. The most preferred mode of transport in Coimbra is Car.
Average distance: 8.04 km Average time: 18.85 min
Car 57.14%Driving 15 min Walking 0.63 min Overall average time for 11 kms 15.63 min
Bus/Trolleybus 14.29%Bus 17.5 min Waiting 10 min Walking 6.5 min Overall average time for 5.25 kms 34 min
Walking 21.43%Walking 16.67 min Driving 0.67 min Overall average time for 2 kms 17.33 min