Largo Da Portagem26 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Largo da Portagem, 3000-337 Coimbra, Portugal Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: Landmark, Entertainment, Square, Family And Kids
The name of the square has a historical context. Portagem is the Portuguese word for tolls. This square was the where goods coming in from the south of the city were taxed. It has a few highlights worth noting. It lies in the sight of Mondego River and the Santa Clara bridge. Architecturally, check out the 1926 Astoria Hotel and the Bank of Portugal Building. The statue in the square was sculpted by Costa Mota, and is of Joaquim António de Aguiar, an early 19th century prime minister of Portugal. The nearby Ferreira Borges street has some interesting traditional shops. Altogether, it’s a nice place to people-watch. Sometimes the nearby cafes and pastry shops spread tables and chairs out into the street. At night, the square is well lit.
How to Reach Largo Da Portagem
- Trains R and U stop Coimbra.
- Walk or drive to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Largo Da Portagem Address: Largo da Portagem, 3000-337 Coimbra, Portugal
- Largo Da Portagem Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Largo Da Portagem(preferred time): 11:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Time required to visit Largo Da Portagem: 00:15 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!