Se Velha De Coimbra, Coimbra
Se Velha De Coimbra, Coimbra - Address, Phone Number
Address: Largo Sé Velha, 3000-383 Coimbra, Portugal
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 39 times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Se Velha De Coimbra, Coimbra
Sometime in the middle of the 12th century, the first King of Portugal, Afonso Henriques, and the Bishop Miguel Salomão, led the construction financing of this Romanesque cathedral. Built to replace the older cathedrals in the area of which nothing remains and little is known, the Se Velha quickly became important. The second King of Portugal, King Sancho I, was interred here. Though the Cathedral received various additions over the centuries, it never lost the essentially Romanesque look, making it a national treasure. Notably, the Cathedral looks like a menacing fortress.
Highlights of the church include:
- The 16th century Renaissance-style Porta Especiosa on the north facade
- The crenellated walls with narrow windows
- The buttresses stabilising the church against the slope of the hill
- Romanesque-Gothic transitional cloister
- Romanesque-Baroque lantern tower over the transept
- Decorated capitals on the interior columns
- Nearly 400 Romanesque era sculpted capitals with Arab and pre-romanesque elements
- Gothic tombs
- Large 1502 Flamboyant Gothic wooden retable in the main chapel
- 16th century Renaissance altar by Nicolau Chanterene in the chapel of Saint Peter
- 16th century Gothic-Renaissance baptismal font
The seat of the bishopric was transferred to the New Cathedral of Coimbra (Sé Nova de Coimbra) in 1772.
Se Velha De Coimbra Information
- No visits during religious service.
- Group visits must be booked beforehand with time, date and number of people.
Se Velha De Coimbra Ticket Prices
- EUR 2.50 donation is suggested.
Se Velha De Coimbra Opening and Closing Hours
- Monday - Friday: 6pm
- Saturday: 7pm
- Sunday - 10pm
How To reach Se Velha De Coimbra by Public Transport
- Drive to Praça da República and park there.
- Walk to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
Se Velha De Coimbra Tickets And Tours
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best best of Coimbra
Se Velha De Coimbra, Coimbra Reviews - Write a Review
Looks cool from the outside. Really impressive architecture. Not much else to do there but to look at it.
Wonderful romanic style church with stupid, idiot sacristian which don't allow entrace even at 17.50 while mass bagin at 18. This idiot treat church like his own property. I see no reason to close entrance with line and don't allow go in, while 10 minutes is enough to see that building. We people who believe in God sponsored that building not sacristian and not priest! Also we pay yours rent! Yours behaviour is scandalic! I dont want visit church DURING mass but 10 minutes before, probably you brain less cant imagine that! After moving 3000 km it is not so easy adjust with time to seconds! You have almost empty churches now and such unfriendly behaviour like that stupid sacristian make them more empty faster! By the way same arogantic you may meet in Vatican.
Beautiful Roman cathedral bit austere on the outside but nice polychrome altar inside. There is also a cloister corridor next to it but that is rather ordinary compared to others in the neighborhood.
Great bars and restaurant s. Fun place and lively people and bars.
Amazing place but inside they don't let us get some shot and photos