University Of Coimbra104 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 3000-213 Coimbra, Portugal
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-239859900
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Monument, Family And Kids, University
The oldest university in the country, and one of the oldest in continuous operation in the world, this university is an important monument for all of humanity! It was established in 1290 King Dinis, and settled here in the Royal Palace of the “Alcaçova” 1544. And appropriately, UNESCO added to the world heritage list in 2013. It has two major sections - the Palace of Schools, and the The College of Jesus (oldest Jesuit college in the world).
Visitors to the campus should check out:
- The Iron Gate: See the sculptural representations of Theology, Law, Medicine and Canons at the site of the entry of the original 10th century Muslim fortress that once stood here.
- The University Tower: The landmark of both the city and the university, the 34 meters high 18th century tower by Antonio Cannevari was meant to be an astronomical observatory. It has the best views of the city
- The Armory: Weapons (halberds) of the former Royal Academic Guard, still used in formal ceremonies today
- Museu Academico / Academic Museum: A museum dedicated to student life in the University of Coimbra - music, sports, arts, related documentaries and a library
- Sala dos Capelos (Hall of Capes): Once the country’s first Throne Room, this grand hall is now used for ceremonies and examinations.
- Chapel of St Michael: The 11th century original chapel here was also dedicated to the same Saint. The gorgeous art and craftwork you see here today is from the Baroque period. Check out the incredible Grand Organ with 2000 pipes.
University Of Coimbra Travel Tips
- Groups visits require prior appointments.
- Children under 6 not allowed inside the tower.
Entrance Ticket Details For University Of Coimbra
- Free for 12 years of age and under.
- 50% off for kids 13-18 years of age.
Type of tour programme:
- Program 1 From the Palace to the College 12€ (this combines programmes 3 and 4).
- Program 2 Coimbra World Heritage 5,50€.
- Program 3 Palace of Schools 10€.
- Program 4 Science Museum 5€.
- Program 5 Tower of the University 2€.
- There are discounts for under 26 and over 65 years of age.
- There are various pricing options for visits by groups, guided tours, and visits at night.
- Guided tours: € 15.00 per person.
University Of Coimbra Hours
- November: February: 9.00am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm - 5.00pm
- March: October 9am-7:30pm
- Tower of the University: 10.00am - 7pm
- Monday to Friday: 9 am to 12.30 pm - 2 pm to 5.30 pm.
- Closed on Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
- Guided tours at 11am and 3pm.
How to Reach University Of Coimbra
- Smtuc Elevator
- Bus routes: 1A, 34 e 103
- Walk to here.
- Drive to Praca de Republica and park there.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
University Of Coimbra Reviews & Ratings
Beautiful place with outstanding library which is totally a must see if you are travelling to Portugal. Visiting system is quite strange but they have student discount.
I was not a big fan of the library but everything else was truly magnificent.
It’s very well kept older craftsmanship when visiting the royal chapel and library inside. This is a real university with students around the place.
Educational history. Make sure you visit the library
Nice place with a beautiful old library
i will be arriving at Coimbra on March 13 and want to visit the Coimbra Library and Royal Room .I would like to know if I can purchase tickets for Program 1, From the Palace to the College tour by internet .Answer Report Abuse
The University of Coimbra has been a UNESCO's World Heritage Site since 2013 and attracts many visitors. The tickets for the "Program 1, From the Palace to the College" tour is not available on the internet. You can buy the ticket at the venue.
This program includes - Royal Palace, the Chapel of St. Michael, the Baroque Library, and College of Jesus.Report Abuse