University Of CoimbraCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: 3000-213 Coimbra, Portugal
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +351-239859900
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Monument, Family And Kids, University
The oldest university in the country, and one of the oldest in continuous operation in the world, this university is an important monument for all of humanity! It was established in 1290 King Dinis, and settled here in the Royal Palace of the “Alcaçova” 1544. And appropriately, UNESCO added to the world heritage list in 2013. It has two major sections - the Palace of Schools, and the The College of Jesus (oldest Jesuit college in the world).
Visitors to the campus should check out:
- The Iron Gate: See the sculptural representations of Theology, Law, Medicine and Canons at the site of the entry of the original 10th century Muslim fortress that once stood here.
- The University Tower: The landmark of both the city and the university, the 34 meters high 18th century tower by Antonio Cannevari was meant to be an astronomical observatory. It has the best views of the city
- The Armory: Weapons (halberds) of the former Royal Academic Guard, still used in formal ceremonies today
- Museu Academico / Academic Museum: A museum dedicated to student life in the University of Coimbra - music, sports, arts, related documentaries and a library
- Sala dos Capelos (Hall of Capes): Once the country’s first Throne Room, this grand hall is now used for ceremonies and examinations.
- Chapel of St Michael: The 11th century original chapel here was also dedicated to the same Saint. The gorgeous art and craftwork you see here today is from the Baroque period. Check out the incredible Grand Organ with 2000 pipes.
- Groups visits require prior appointments.
- Children under 6 not allowed inside the tower.
- Free for 12 years of age and under.
- 50% off for kids 13-18 years of age.
Type of tour programme:
- Program 1 From the Palace to the College 12€ (this combines programmes 3 and 4).
- Program 2 Coimbra World Heritage 5,50€.
- Program 3 Palace of Schools 10€.
- Program 4 Science Museum 5€.
- Program 5 Tower of the University 2€.
- There are discounts for under 26 and over 65 years of age.
- There are various pricing options for visits by groups, guided tours, and visits at night.
- Guided tours: € 15.00 per person.
- November: February: 9.00am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm - 5.00pm
- March: October 9am-7:30pm
- Tower of the University: 10.00am - 7pm
- Monday to Friday: 9 am to 12.30 pm - 2 pm to 5.30 pm.
- Closed on Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
- Guided tours at 11am and 3pm.
- Smtuc Elevator
- Bus routes: 1A, 34 e 103
- Walk to here.
- Drive to Praca de Republica and park there.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Coimbra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Coimbra and book an accommodation of your choice.
I came to this city purposely to visit the university. There is definitely a lot of history here and the architecture is amazing. If you are into history and architecture then this is the place to go. Otherwise... you are better off checking something else out!
Gold library, amazing building with a location over looking the river. We enjoyed the visit, had a tasty frozen yogurt and then walked through the botanical gardens.
One of the best universities I visited. Gold library, The bell tower overlooking the river, Patio and green parks, and much more. If you are in Coimbra, it’s a must visit.
University patially open to the public, amazing inside.
Amazing architecture and wondering vibes.