Independence Square, ColomboCurrently Open
- Address: 7 Independence Ave Colombo 00700 Sri Lanka
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Walking Area, Statue, Leisure, Square, Shopping Center, Family And Kids, Picnic Spot
About Independence Square, Colombo
Walking down Independence Avenue, you'll see a statue looming up before you. It is Hon. D. S. Senanayaka, father of the Nation, the first Prime Minister of Independent Ceylon, welcoming you to the square where Sri Lanka's freedom from British rule was celebrated in 1948. Right behind the statue is the Independence Memorial Hall. Around the square is a manicured grassy garden, popular with joggers and exercisers. You might even see people picnicking. Restaurants and shopping complexes surround the area. The serenity of the place makes it a favourite hangout, recreation and relaxation area. It gets crowded in the evenings, so that's the best time to people watch.
How To reach Independence Square by Public Transport
- Take a tuk-tuk, taxi, or local bus to Torington Bus Stop.
- Drive or walk here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Colombo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Colombo and book an accommodation of your choice.
Independence Square, Colombo Reviews
All Questionsindependence square
- Attractions near Independence Square
- Bally's Casino
- Nelum Pokuna Mahinda Rajapaksa Theatre
- Viharamahadevi Park
- The National Museum Of Natural History
- The National Museum Of Colombo
- Chesa Swiss
- Crow Island Beach Park
- Colombo Lighthouse
- Church Of St. Michael & All Angels
- Cinnamon Gardens
- Excel World
- Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara