Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara3427 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kelaniya, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +94-112911505
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Landmark
Marking the visit of Lord Buddha for the third time, this temple is an epitome for the grand welcome the country offered. With a quintessential construction, the original temple was destroyed over the course of time by the Indian invaders. The lost charm was restored and the temple was destroyed again by the Portuguese. The temple went in to a resurrection with the help of the Dutch in the 18th century. This act made them popular among the locals and the refurbished monument now stands proudly in the city.
The focal point of the temple is an unusually hollow Dagoba and is feted in the month of January every year.
Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara Travel Tips
- This is an important religious centre of the country, so make sure you respect the sanctity of the place.
- It is advisable to dress in full sleeved clothes and covering your head while entering the temple.
How to Reach Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara
- You can take the cool kangaroo radio cab, the ace cab or rent a taxi service. The cheapest and easiest way is to hire the tuk-tuk.
- Water’s edge
- Sen Saal
- china doll
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Colombo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Colombo and book an accommodation of your choice.
51.96% of people who visit Colombo include Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
55.7% of people start their Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara
94.83% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara