St Anthony's Church Kochikade3007 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kochchikade, St Anthony's Mawatha, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Timings: 05:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +94-112329303
- Time Required: 00:15 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site
This is one of the most curious churches you'll ever visit. From the outside, it is by every appearance a regular Catholic Church. But the second you step in, it's as if you've stepped into a pagan temple. There are a dozen statues of Christian saints, and you will find lines of church-goers making offerings to each saint in a manner that is definitely non-traditional. The statue of St. Anthony is especially popular, as there are stories of miracles associated to it. During times of festival, the entire church is usually decked out in full Hindu-style pagan pizzazz. This all inclusive nature of the church has made a favourite of people of every imaginable faith in Colombo. The church was built in 1905 by an Indian Catholic. The church is an important cultural asset in Indo-Sri Lankan relationships.
St Anthony's Church Kochikade Travel Tips
- Photography is generally not allowed.
St Anthony's Church Kochikade Hours
- Sundays: 5:30 AM, 7:30 AM Mass in Tamil & 12:15 PM, 5:30 PM Mass in Sinhala.
- Daily: 6:00 AM-Mass in Tamil & 12:15 PM-Mass in Sinhala
- Saturday 6:00 PM: Mass in English
- Opening hours given are by mass times. Call the attraction to find out visiting hours.
How to Reach St Anthony's Church Kochikade
- Take a tuk-tuk, taxi, or local bus to Kotahena Bus Stand.
- Drive or walk here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Colombo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Colombo and book an accommodation of your choice.
49.3% of people who visit Colombo include St Anthony's Church Kochikade in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
58.62% of people start their St Anthony's Church Kochikade visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see St Anthony's Church Kochikade
93.37% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St Anthony's Church Kochikade