Thurber House38 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 04:00 pm]
- Address: 77 Jefferson Ave, Columbus, OH 43215, Columbus City, United States
- Timings: 01:00 pm - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6144641032
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids
James Thurber's life seemed as if it was going nowhere until he found comics and began to do them for the New York Times. Next thing you know, he's one of the most respected artists in the country! This house, in which he spent his teenage years, is now a gathering place for not only his fans, but for all those who appreciate the art of writing. Events are organised where bestselling authors interact with their fans, people take writing classes, there are literary picnics on the lawn of the house, It has been restored to its looks from 1913 - 1917, and you can look around in the formal parlor, living room, dining room, five bedrooms, and a bathroom. Memorablia exhibitions can be found in the parent's bedroom.
Thurber House Travel Tips
- Street and car parking.
Entrance Ticket Details For Thurber House
- Guided Tours: USD 4 for adults USD 2 students and senior citizens.
- Tickets for exhibitions and events at Thurber house can be found on the attraction website.
Thurber House Hours
- The house is closed to self guided tours on national holidays.
- Guided tours on Sunday, or by appointment.
How to Reach Thurber House
- Buses 6, 11, 6, 33, 34, 36 stop E Long St & N Washington Ave.
- Drive to here or take a taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Columbus City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Columbus City and book an accommodation of your choice.
9.07% of people who visit Columbus City include Thurber House in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
81.82% of people start their Thurber House visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Thurber House
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Thurber House
Thurber House Reviews & Ratings
I love the Thurber house. It is a great place to see authors, do workshops, and more for a good price.
Old school, well maintained, nice and quiet in downtown Columbus
Outstanding staff, books by Thurber, and the setting of some of his stories.
I love going here..you can learn the history of Thurber and even hear about a ghost. And it's FREE
Columbus Art Museum. Very nice. Attended new book launch & signing