Blackrock Castle ObservatoryCurrently Closed
- Address: Castle Road, Blackrock, Co. Cork, Ireland
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +353 -214326120
- Ticket Price: 7 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
The Blackrock Castle is a 16th century castle. Known for its authentic Irish stone buildings, the castle was originally built on Queen Elizabeth’s orders after the locals requested her for a fort to protect the city from Pirates.
Today the fort has an Observatory on its highest round tower and is known to host some of the most interesting events and workshops for children. The fort is also used as a base for getting adults and children more interested in science. Blackrock Castle houses Ireland's first interactive astronomy center developed by the award-winning multimedia company Martello Media.
A must visit if you are visiting with your kids!
- Do try to attend a star gazing event or workshop if you are lucky to catch one.
- Adults: €6.50
- Students, Seniors and Children (5-14 years): €4.50
- Family (2 Adults, 2 Children): €18
- Groups (10 and more) €5.50
- Children under 5 are free with families and admission is always free for members.
- Please note last admission is 4.00 pm. The castle closes at 5.00 pm and viewing the exhibits takes approximately 1 hour.
- The exhibit is open by special arrangement for groups of 10 or more after hours. (See Group Admission for more details.)
- The nearest bus stop is at Ferney Rd (St Lukes Home)
- Bus number- 202
- Pizza take-away
- Taste of Italy
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cork before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cork and book an accommodation of your choice.
21.08% of people who visit Cork include Blackrock Castle Observatory in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
58.1% of people start their Blackrock Castle Observatory visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Blackrock Castle Observatory
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Blackrock Castle Observatory
This was a very neat experience! A castle turned into an observatory, pretty cool! Our guide was very knowledgeable! She led us through the planetarium portion as well as through the basement and the roof! The rest is self guided! Highly recommend!
Really nice castle on the side of the river. Tasty scones and good coffee in a beautiful set-up. I would recommend walking along the river before or after getting a coffee there, it is a nice walk that goes on for a while with beautiful scenery
Awesome guided tour with an extremely knowledgeable astrologer. The planetarium experience was outstanding and enjoyed learning about the history of the building. Highly recommended for all ages. Thanks again
The observatory is small but have interesting information and exhibition on astronomy. Kids will enjoy it as its interactive like to send messages to space. Its great view from the top of the castle. Recommendation would be go in the evening to see sunset.
Fantastic place to visit. Lovely staff and very knowledgeable. Perfect for anyone looking for something different. Also great for wedding photos