Visit Curitiba - Best of Curitiba
Curitiba is one of the most prominent cities in the southern region of Brazil and is famous for various unconventional reasons. One is the spectacular public transit system, another being sexiness that goes around in the air is seen only by those who really want to see it. You will find colors of all nationalities here- immigrants who are Russian, Italian, Polish, German and Ukrainian have given this city an extremely supportive and friendly environment. Curitiba also respects arts in its own little ways- the old city bang in the center of Curitiba is known for its beautiful graffiti’s and the lovely arts fair held every week. Even though the history is enriching, the reminiscent is not a way to witness it. As it is a fact with Brazil, partying and Rio is very fashionable. But Curitiba again aces that aspect by possessing a system which highlights recycling and sustainable development long before they were even known to half the World.
The population of this city has so many attributes to show- that you will never have enough of them. If cities could adopt Curitiba’s model and make it their role model- most urban evils would be eradicated in no time. Its innovative measures taken to solve issues like poverty, homelessness are commendable. The man behind most of these highlights is its three term mayor- Jaime Lerner who was the brain behind some amazing transformations the city underwent in the 1970s. Fortunately, Football fans got a chance to witness its warmth and its inviting nature when it played host various times during the 2014 FIFA, but you do not need to wait for another World Cup to come around to do the same. In a way, the city has proved itself and clearly deserves you just as much as you deserve everything that the city has to offer to you.
Curitiba Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Curitiba tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC−03:00
- Currency: Brazilian Real
- Electricity: The voltage in Curitiba is 110 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.
- Internet: The Internet speed is fairly high. But free wifi is not readily available.
- Languages: Brazilians speak Portuguese with a local touch to the language. German and Italian are also widely spoken in Curitiba, along with English in touristy areas.
Emergency Contact Numbers
- Military Police (first number to call) 190 or 911
- Ambulance 192
- Fire Department 193
- Civil Police 197
- Curitiba Tourist Board (41) 3250-7721/ 3352-8000
- Surroundings of the Main Bus Terminal (Rodoferroviária) are not very safe. If you come during dark hours, take a taxi even if your hotel is at a walking distance.
- Downtown squares are fairly safe during the days. But, after 8:00 pm, are a hotspot for thefts, drug dealers and it is better to avoid the main passage areas. Take the streets on the edges.
- Historical Center- Avoid going alone.
- Batel neighborhood – Be aware and the neighborhood acts just fine.
- The neighborhoods on the south side of the city (Sitio Cercado, Fazendinha, Pinheiriho, Cidade Industrial, Tatuquara)- are slightly unsafe, so avoid specially after dark.
- At night it is best to get around by taxi. The public transport are almost entirely off after midnight.
Off Beaten Path
- Visit Honey Island.
- Visit lighthouses of Knowledge. They are located in 45 neighborhoods.
- Visit the Municipal Market.
- Go to the Telepar Tower.
- At almost all restaurants and bars, a standard "serviço" service fee of 10% is included as a line item at the end of the "conta" or bill. It is not compulsory.
- It is not customary to give tips in Brazil. Only if you find the service exceptional and have a good exchange rate, you can let people know by being generous.
Are you looking for a Curitiba travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Curitiba Tourist Information
Curitiba Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Curitiba
Save 7%Ilha do Mel Day Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 10 Hrs
Ilha do Mel is located in the state of Paran, in the municipality of Paranagu. It is a preservation area managed by the IAP (...
Save 7%Train Trip and City Tour in Para Nagua New on TripHobo
Paranagua City Tour Paranagu is one of the most beautiful historical cities of Paran. Its museums, churches, old houses and t...
Save 7%Mac Boot New on TripHobo
Duration: 8 Hrs
The train ride leaves Curitiba for the Marumbi State Park, considered an important point for Brazilian mountaineering. There,...
Save 10%Vila Velha City Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 6 Hrs
Enjoy the most popular destinations in Vila Velha. Visit the Vila Velha State Park (about 90 km from Curitiba). Walk among th...
Popular Hotels in CuritibaView all Hotels in Curitiba
- Rio Branco Do Sul Tourism
- Arapoti Tourism
- Iguaçu Tourism
- Itaberá Tourism
- Balneario Camboriu Tourism
- Timburi Tourism
- Florianopolis Tourism
- Nova Fátima Tourism
- Cerqueira César Tourism
- Jardim Alegre Tourism
- Águas De Santa Bárbara Tourism
- Luzerna Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- Belo Horizonte Tourism
- Recife Tourism
- Joao Pessoa Tourism
- Belem Tourism
- Campos Do Jordao Tourism
- Porto Alegre Tourism
- Foz Do Iguacu Tourism
- Armacao Dos Buzios Tourism
Facts and Stats for Curitiba*
Pollution Statistics in Curitiba
Know the pollution level of Curitiba before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 33.75 (Low)
Water Pollution 48.33 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 45.97 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 22.66 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 17.97 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 24.22 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 23.61 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 13.71 (Very Low)
Curitiba: Crime and Safety
How safe is Curitiba for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Curitiba.
Burglary and Theft 56.95 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 73.68 (High)
Assault and Armed Robbery 76.49 (High)
Corruption and Bribery 80.81 (Very High)
Car Stealing 63.87 (High)
Robbery of Car belongings 69.47 (High)
Attacks 44.51 (Moderate)
Drug offense 72.73 (High)
Safety walking alone during daylight 53.79 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during night 15.11 (Very Low)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 37.88 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 17.29 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 72.33 (High)
Living in Curitiba - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Curitiba is 133 (High)
Safety Index 35.97 (Low)
Climate Index 99.6 (Very High)
Pollution Index 36.04 (Low)
Traffic Commute Time Index 34.09 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 39.83 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 65.25 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 14.94 (High)
Purchasing Power Index 39.28 (Very Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Curitiba
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Curitiba
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.4 USD
International Movie per seat 6.6 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 39.15 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 79.35 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 51.65 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.