Visit Curitiba - Best of Curitiba
Curitiba is one of the most prominent cities in the southern region of Brazil and is famous for various unconventional reasons. One is the spectacular public transit system, another being sexiness that goes around in the air is seen only by those who really want to see it. You will find colors of all nationalities here- immigrants who are Russian, Italian, Polish, German and Ukrainian have given this city an extremely supportive and friendly environment. Curitiba also respects arts in its own little ways- the old city bang in the center of Curitiba is known for its beautiful graffiti’s and the lovely arts fair held every week. Even though the history is enriching, the reminiscent is not a way to witness it. As it is a fact with Brazil, partying and Rio is very fashionable. But Curitiba again aces that aspect by possessing a system which highlights recycling and sustainable development long before they were even known to half the World.
The population of this city has so many attributes to show- that you will never have enough of them. If cities could adopt Curitiba’s model and make it their role model- most urban evils would be eradicated in no time. Its innovative measures taken to solve issues like poverty, homelessness are commendable. The man behind most of these highlights is its three term mayor- Jaime Lerner who was the brain behind some amazing transformations the city underwent in the 1970s. Fortunately, Football fans got a chance to witness its warmth and its inviting nature when it played host various times during the 2014 FIFA, but you do not need to wait for another World Cup to come around to do the same. In a way, the city has proved itself and clearly deserves you just as much as you deserve everything that the city has to offer to you.
Curitiba Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Curitiba tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC−03:00
- Currency: Brazilian Real
- Electricity: The voltage in Curitiba is 110 V and the frequency is 60 Hz.
- Internet: The Internet speed is fairly high. But free wifi is not readily available.
- Languages: Brazilians speak Portuguese with a local touch to the language. German and Italian are also widely spoken in Curitiba, along with English in touristy areas.
Emergency Contact Numbers
- Military Police (first number to call) 190 or 911
- Ambulance 192
- Fire Department 193
- Civil Police 197
- Curitiba Tourist Board (41) 3250-7721/ 3352-8000
- Surroundings of the Main Bus Terminal (Rodoferroviária) are not very safe. If you come during dark hours, take a taxi even if your hotel is at a walking distance.
- Downtown squares are fairly safe during the days. But, after 8:00 pm, are a hotspot for thefts, drug dealers and it is better to avoid the main passage areas. Take the streets on the edges.
- Historical Center- Avoid going alone.
- Batel neighborhood – Be aware and the neighborhood acts just fine.
- The neighborhoods on the south side of the city (Sitio Cercado, Fazendinha, Pinheiriho, Cidade Industrial, Tatuquara)- are slightly unsafe, so avoid specially after dark.
- At night it is best to get around by taxi. The public transport are almost entirely off after midnight.
Off Beaten Path
- Visit Honey Island.
- Visit lighthouses of Knowledge. They are located in 45 neighborhoods.
- Visit the Municipal Market.
- Go to the Telepar Tower.
- At almost all restaurants and bars, a standard "serviço" service fee of 10% is included as a line item at the end of the "conta" or bill. It is not compulsory.
- It is not customary to give tips in Brazil. Only if you find the service exceptional and have a good exchange rate, you can let people know by being generous.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Curitiba and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Curitiba- Know before you go to Curitiba
Facts and Stats for Curitiba*
Pollution Statistics in Curitiba
Know the pollution level of Curitiba before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 34.46 (Low)
Water Pollution 51.85 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 47.32 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 23.28 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 18.97 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 23.28 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 24.24 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 13.79 (Very Low)
Curitiba: Crime and Safety
How safe is Curitiba for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Curitiba.
Burglary and Theft 57.46 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 74.12 (High)
Assault and Armed Robbery 78.04 (High)
Corruption and Bribery 81.59 (Very High)
Car Stealing 64.77 (High)
Robbery of Car belongings 69.64 (High)
Attacks 46.02 (Moderate)
Drug offense 74.78 (High)
Safety walking alone during daylight 53.54 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during night 14.13 (Very Low)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 40.27 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 16.23 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 73.89 (High)
Living in Curitiba - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Curitiba is 133.61 (High)
Safety Index 35.04 (Low)
Climate Index 99.63 (Very High)
Pollution Index 37.17 (Low)
Traffic Commute Time Index 35.32 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 48.59 (Low)
Health Care Index 61.37 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 12.54 (High)
Purchasing Power Index 45.44 (Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Curitiba
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Curitiba
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.44 USD
International Movie per seat 7.69 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 42.52 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 94.09 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 57.26 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Curitiba Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Curitiba
Curitiba Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Curitiba
New on TripHobo Duration: 6 Hrs
Enjoy the most popular destinations in Vila Velha. Visit the Vila Velha State Park (about 90 km from Curitiba). Walk among th...
USD 189Book Now
1 Reviews Duration: 4 Hrs
Experience the best of Curitiba in this tour of approximately 4 hours and a half long!
USD 64Book Now
1 Reviews Duration: 8 Hrs
Elected among the ten most beautiful train rides in the world. Embark on the Serra do Mar's train and discover the charm of t...
USD 120Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: Flexible
Enjoy one-way or round-trip private transfer from Curitiba Airport to surrounding Curitiba hotels. An English-speaking repre...
USD 115Book Now
- Cities Near Curitiba
- Braço Do Norte Tourism
- General Carneiro Tourism
- Pomerode Tourism
- Santa Cecília Do Pavão Tourism
- Prudentópolis Tourism
- Avaré Tourism
- Wenceslau Braz Tourism
- Curitibanos Tourism
- União Da Vitória Tourism
- São Roque Tourism
- Jardim Alegre Tourism
- Otacílio Costa Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Cooroy Mountain Tourism
- Belair Tourism
- Bromham Tourism
- Lake Andes Tourism
- Aróstegui Tourism
- Oneida Hair Stylist Tourism
- New Lisbon Tourism
- Odijk Tourism
- Hulett Tourism
- Camberwell Road Tourism