- Address: Maras, Peru, Cusco
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: 10 PEN
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Family And Kids, Amphitheater
Moray - Review
Though Moray is slightly outside the city, it is definitely an interesting place worth visiting. Moray (amphitheater) is one of the examples of ancient Inca Ruins. You will notice that it looks a lot like the amphitheaters of Greece. As a result of the split caused by the staircases in these concentric terraces, it becomes easy for people to walk to the bottom of the amphitheater. These depressions are said to be used as agricultural research stations during the ancient times. The depressions are not uniform which makes the site even more picturesque.
One of the most highlighted feature of Moray is that the shifting of the temperature from the top to the bottom. Which means you will feel a very obvious change in the temperature from top to bottom and this is allegedly due to the ingenious design. These circular terraces are worth seeing, especially during summers.
- One should hire a local tourist guide for getting a better idea about the place.
- Mountain biking here is a great experience in itself.
- If one wants to spend more time in this place, then staying at the town of Misminay is recommended. It has homestay options and food facilities.
- You can take any transportation bound between Urubamba and Cuzco via Chinchero and ask to be let off at the Maras/Moray turnoff. Taxis usually wait at this turnoff to take tourists to Moray and back for around S30.
How To reach Moray by Public Transport
Restaurants Near Moray
- La Chomba
- Norton’s Rat Tavern
- Paititi Cicciolina
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cusco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cusco and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Moray
95% of people who visit Cusco include Moray in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
36.98% of people start their Moray visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Moray
93.56% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Moray
Moray, Cusco Reviews
It's just amazing how advanced the Inca's way of thinking in the past, way before the modern technology era. Moray is a laboratory to test how crops react to different altitude and sun exposures. Because of it, the Incas were able to crop over 2000 variety of potatoes. The pictures just can't do justice to the whole experience while exploring Moray laboratory.
Absolutely beautiful! And very interesting about the irrigation and the different crops at descending temperatures since Incan times. But you can’t descend into the bottom
A greenhouse and plant laboratory like you've never imagined. And, it is hundreds of years old. We visited on a rainy day, it was still an amazing experience to see the three sets of circles. The first one is the most breathtaking, spend time getting as close as is allowed. Notice little details like the steps the Incas used to go from terrace to terrace, the water channels, etc. As you do down you can get a sense for the temperature drop, and the massive scale of the circular terraces. A true Inca wonder.
This place is neat! The Incas were such bright peoples. They knew how to cultivate seeds with different temperatures which is why this is such a significant place. Well worth a visit.
Best to go with a local guide if possible so you have a better understanding of what you're looking at. Our guide explained the advanced farming techniques used by the Incas. Very impressive.
- Eleele Baptist Church
- Episcopal Church On West Kauai
- Kauai Sea Tours
- Holo Holo Charters
- Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures
- Port Allen Small Boat Harbor
- King's Cathedral & Chapels
- Bubbles Below Scuba Charters
- Kauai Charter Sportfishing
- Glass Beach
- Queensbath Princeville Kauai
- Kauai Charter Sport Fishing
- Actors - Ames Community Theater
- Wakefield Woods
- The Space For Ames