The San Francisco Church And MonasteryCurrently Open [Closes at 08:00 pm]
- Address: Jirón Lampa, Distrito de Lima, Peru, Cusco
- Timings: 07:30 am - 08:45 pm Details
- Phone: +51-14267377
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museum, Church, Religious Site, Library, Family And Kids, Monastery
The San Francisco Church And Monastery - Review
The San Francisco Church and Monastery have gained popularity among the tourists because of the catacombs which contain the remains of several unknown locals from ancient periods. It was the first cemetery built in the city. The bones are lined up on each side of the hallways found beneath the San Francisco church.
You will find an enormous cave in the ground of the church of San Francisco, which is filled with the bones. The bones as well as the skulls are arranged beautifully in a geometric patterns in this place. This Geometric pattern is one of the art pieces done in the church of San Francisco. However, the catacombs are not for the faint hearted and may give you chills.
Apart from the catacombs which are the main highlight of the San Francisco church and monastery, the church also exhibits some of the most beautiful art pieces such as mosaics, colonial paintings etc. The visitors will be mesmerized by the marvelous library which includes a large variety of books in the church of San Francisco. The collection of books at the church is extremely valuable. The beautiful architecture of the church will surprise its visitors. The catacombs and the architecture make the San Francisco church and monastery worth seeing. This is one of the major Lima points of interest.
The San Francisco Church And Monastery Information
- Visit the monastery to see a superb collection of ancestral religious texts.
- Catacombs tours are not for claustrophobic or squeamish people.
- One can take a taxi from San Isidro. It is 45 minutes from there.
- It is not ideal for a visit with children.
- Taking photographs is strictly prohibited.
- Guided tours last for 1 hour and are quite interesting.
How To reach The San Francisco Church And Monastery by Public Transport
- If you wish to travel by public transport you should invest in a transport map. There is a bus service but details are not available online.
Restaurants Near The San Francisco Church And Monastery
- You should ideally take a packed lunch as there aren’t any restaurants nearby.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Cusco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Cusco and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting The San Francisco Church And Monastery
95% of people who visit Cusco include The San Francisco Church And Monastery in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
40.23% of people start their The San Francisco Church And Monastery visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see The San Francisco Church And Monastery
70.89% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The San Francisco Church And Monastery
The San Francisco Church And Monastery Map
The San Francisco Church And Monastery Trips
1 View4 Days 3 Nights4 Day Trip to Carabayllo District from Los AngelesBy: Guest UserCity: Carabayllo District
The San Francisco Church And Monastery, Cusco Reviews
Please don't get me wrong... the place is beautiful, but unfortunately the attention is terrible... during the 45min I stayed at the waiting area (after I refused to go in with my group due the bad attitude of the lady in the cashier), I witnessed three different tenses and hostile arguings. People were misled by the tour guides, horribly treated by the Manager and lied to by the tickets guy. The atmosphere was always tense, and the tours were insufficient for the amount of people (one guide for 30-40 people). My advice? Don't go... visit St. Dom, the Cathedral, St. Peter... any other place... all are very similar (and a LOT cheaper)... the only difference are the catacombs, which are cool. If you go, be ready to have an angry time, just in case it happens. Unfortunately, it seems that the current Administration is more concerned about the money they make than the attention to the tourists.
Tour comes with the ticket. Catacombs are interesting. Knowledgeable guides. No photos allowed.
The scale, art work, intricate carvings throughout the church and convent are stunning however you have to take a tour around which feels very rushed. We did not have time to read the information or examine the pictures at all, we were in each stunning room for less than 2 minutes. This was really disappointing. That being said, it was all beautiful and the catacombs underneath, seeing hundreds of humans bones, was spooky. Not sure it was worth the 15 soles each though as It felt so rushed.
Fun place to visit , shows the imoprtance lima had back in the day. Certain parts still not accessible so hopefully in the future you can revisit. Great touring into medieval times
Wonderful place to visit and tour if you appreciate historic places. Beautiful architecture and interesting history lesson to go along with the tour. We got to walk through the catacombs below. Not huge but neat to experience. Take the time to stop here!
All QuestionsThe san francisco church and monastery
- Dom Katechetyczny
- Muzeum Im. A. Kłosińskiego
- Parafia Rzymskokatolicka Najdroższej Krwi Pana Jezusa
- Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka P.w. Najświętszego Serca Pana Jezusa
- Parafia Rzymskokatolicka. Wikarówka
- Parafia Rzymskokatolicka św. Małgorzaty I Katarzyny
- Łukasz Błaszków
- Parafia Rzymsko-Katolicka Pw. Swiętej Małgorzaty I Świętej Katarzyny
- Dworzec Autobusowy
- Rejestracja Video Flisowski Stefan
- Urząd Miasta - Naczelnik Skierniewice
- Parafia Rzymskokatolicka Garnizonowa Wniebowzięcia NMP
- Miejski Ośrodek Kultury
- Parafia Rzymskokatolicka św. Jakuba Apostoła
- Parafia Rzymskokatolicka Najświętszego Serca Pana Jezusa