The Dainkund Mountain is located in Dalhousie in the district of Chamba. The Dainkund peak is at a height of almost 2755 meters above sea level. It is just so beautiful. The name Dainkund is said to have been derived from ‘Dain – Kund’, which means ‘house of the witches’. The name so comes from the stories which say that this mountain was the residence of witches many years ago.
This is the most important peak in Dalhousie and is also a very popular tourist attraction. Not only is this place important for its charm and picture-perfect view, but also for the serenity it provides to its visitors. You can take a 360 degree view of the whole valley from the peak of the Dainkund Mountain.
This is also called the ‘singing mountain’, because of the fact that people say about a beautiful sound which is made by the breeze here. It is an unique experience altogether.
The peak of the mountain is a workplace of the Indian Air Force. As soon as you take a right from the first step on the peak and you turn right, you get to see the main fraction of the peak. Here, you will find the Pholani Devi Temple. The speciality of this temple which makes it unique is that there is nothing except a trident inside but is still considered as extremely sacred by the local people. The most stunning feature of this peak is the clear view of the sparkling waters of the rivers Ravi, Chenab and Beas which flow at the base.
The mountain apart from its scenic natural beauty is also important to the locals as an integral part of the diversity of their food and culture, given the gaining popularity of the tourism here. It is now for this reason even referred to as Dainkund Dalhousie.
Dainkund Peak Travel Tips
- The peak is a steep climb of 250 odd steps. The main access is with the help of trekking so it is not an ideal way for old people or people who are not comfortable for such activities.
- Check the timings of the transportation to Daikund Mountain as they change often.
- The temperature is very low here so it is better to wear enough warm garments to avoid a cold attack from the strong winds.
- The best time to visit is during the months of March – May and from June – November.
- There are many local hotels and guest houses around that provide very good accommodation facilities.
- Not suitable for disabled people.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes.
- Carry water along.
How to Reach Dainkund Peak
- Buses are available from the main city to the valley.
- The nearest rail station is at Pathankot.
- The nearest airport is at Chandigarh and Shimla.
- Kwality Restaurant
- Nappolli Restaurant
- Old Sher– e– Punjab Dhaba
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dalhousie before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dalhousie and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Dalhousie include Dainkund Peak in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
53.61% of people start their Dainkund Peak visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Dainkund Peak
93.9% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dainkund Peak