Khajjiar - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Khajjiar, District- Chamba, Himachal Pradesh, India, Dalhousie
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 36.3K times in trip plans
Village, Family And Kids
This step by step checklist will tell you how to plan a trip
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Khajjiar, Dalhousie
Khajjiar is a pretty little hill station in the heart of Himachal Pradesh in the district of Chamba. It is known as the ‘Mini Switzerland’ of India due to the geographical structure of the place. There is also a river flowing through the valley which enhances its beauty even more. Thus, together it is called the Khajjiar Valley and Lake.
History says that this place was initial ruled by the Rajput kings along with the entire Chamba Valley. Later, it passed on to the Mughals and even later to the Sikh clan. Afterwards, the British took over this place. Later it was declared a part of Himachal Pradesh on 15th April in 1948.
This hill station forms one of the most compelling pieces of Chamba. It is situated at a height of almost 2000 meters above the sea level. The Khajjiar lake valley is the most fantastic combination of the perfect ingredients of greenery, serene pastures and thrilling forests. This valley has a quality of giving the visitors immense peace of mind and lots of relaxation from the crowded city life. This is simply the best place if you want to take a short break to admire Mother Nature.
The green stretches are lined with a picture perfect setting of pine and cedar trees. The cherry on the cake is the combination of this forest and lake with the spongy weed pasture. Given the mesmerizing view of this lake valley there is no doubt why this place is regarded as sacred by the local people here.
A visit to Khajjiar cannot be complete without a visit to-
- The Khajjiar Lake which is of a unique saucer shape surrounded with the green meadows covered with ‘vacha’, which is the weed that mostly grows here. This is one the most visited attractions in Khajjiar valley.
- The Dhauladhar Mountains with the beautiful forests of deodar and pine trees.
- The Khajjinag Temple which dates back to the 12th century. It has beautiful inscriptions of the Pandavas and the Kauravas after the Battle of Kurukshetra. This marvelous wood temple is devoted mainly to snake worship and houses sacred idols of the snake god.
- The rest houses around which have many stories related to them. It is said that there is some supernatural power which attracts tourists to these rest houses.
- The beautiful apple orchards near the valley.
The state of Himachal Pradesh is in itself a place of immense natural beauty and the Khajjiar valley is one important contribution here which makes it even more attractive.
- The winter season here experiences very low temperatures which are sometimes even below the freezing point. The snowfall here is just awesome.
- In summers you will find a light cool and a very pleasant weather.
- If you plan to visit during the winter season, make sure you carry enough woolens with you and you should carry light woolens even during the summer season.
- The valley is not very well connected with the city and the road networks are bad. There are not enough transport facilities during most of the year. Do check the transport timings as they vary often due to the weather.
- There are quite a number of hotels and guest houses here to cater to its tourists.
- There is a lovely market from where you can collect some souvenirs in the form of apples, pashmina shawls, etc.
How To reach Khajjiar by Public Transport
- Buses are available from the other states of Himachal.
- The nearest railway station is Pathankot.
- The nearest airport is at Chandigarh and Shimla.
Restaurants Near Khajjiar
- Bhumeeja Restaurant
- Shere Punjab Dhaba
- Parul restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Dalhousie before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dalhousie and book an accommodation of your choice.