Upper BakrotaCurrently Open
- Address: Upper Bakrota, Bhatiyat, District- Chamba, Himachal Pradesh, India, Dalhousie
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Trail, View Point
Dalhousie is a small hill resort in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Originally founded by Lord Dalhousie in 1854, it is a place of immense natural beauty and healthy surroundings. This is a place which is still not affected by the blues of the big city life. This place does not even have nightlife or chaotic crowds like big cities. It is just the perfect break from your busy life in the city lights.
There were five hills which were acquired by the British Government during their rule in India in the 19th century and the 20th century from the ruler of Chamba. They took over these so that they could make sanatoriums here. The Bakrota hill was one among these. The others were Kathalagh, Potreyn, Bhangora and Terah (now called MotiTibba). In turn the taxes of the Chamba ruler were reduced.
The upper Bakrota is the highest point in Dalhousie. It has a number of picturesque estates, a residential and army barracks. The area is surrounded by a loop walk called the Bakrota Walk. This pathway offers a stunning view of the surrounding valleys. The must visit here is the Snowdown Residence. It is said that here Rabindranath Tagore got inspired to later make Shantiniketan. To prove this story true there is also a letter inscribed here that was written by Tagore himself voicing this statement to a friend of his. This walk ends at the Alah Water Tank on the way to Khajjiar.
The Upper Bakrota was a destination for the Punjab Gentry years ago before independence. Now the place is filled with residents of mostly North Indian families and their estates. The other places worth visiting around the Upper Bakrota are the SubhashBaoli, the beautiful waterfall of Satdhara, the Panchpula range and the Jandrighat.
This place is a fantastic summer vacation destination with its lovely climate. You must visit this place when you are in Dalhousie as it is not a good idea to miss it.
- The best time to visit is during November and March.
- The climate is light cool during the summers and very low, even below the freezing point during winters. Carry enough woolens to keep yourself warm.
- Check the flight timings as they vary due to the fog.
- Make sure about the permission if you are to visit the estates as most of these are private properties.
- The best route if you are on a road trip is the Delhi– Ambala– Chandigarh– Ropar– Hoshiarpur– Dasayu– Pathankot.
- The nearest railway station is at Pathankot
- The nearest airports are at Jammu, Pathankot and Gaggal.
- There are buses also from the main cities.
- Dawat Restaurant
- Kwality Restaurant
- Punjab Restaurant
- Cafe Dalhousie
- MotiMahal Deluxe
- Aroma and Claire
- Friends Punjabi Dhaba
- Jagan Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Dalhousie before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dalhousie and book an accommodation of your choice.
73.43% of people who visit Dalhousie include Upper Bakrota in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
28.57% of people start their Upper Bakrota visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Upper Bakrota
92.14% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Upper Bakrota