A former Portugese colony, Daman is a beautiful coastal town in India. It is a part of the union territory, Daman and Diu. The place had been ruled by the Mughals prior to the Portugese, thus, the architecture here is a beautiful blend of both the cultures. The beautiful forts and churches are testaments of this fact.
With the chilled out atmosphere, this place is a getaway for those seeking for an escape from everyday's hustle and bustle. Since it is close to Mumbai and a lot of major cities and towns in Gujarat, a lot of people from these places flock this serene beach town during the holiday season.
Being a coastal town, fishing is the main occupation here. Thus, be prepared for some A-grade seafood, that is cooked with fresh bounty caught on a daily basis. Apart from seafood, Daman also offers some tantalising authentic Indian cuisine, that will make your tummies thank you.
While alcohol is banned in the rest of the state, Daman is a haven for those craving for some booze to loosen themselves a little. And the best thing is, the taxes on alcohol here are some of the lowest in the country. The locally made feni and tody are definitely crowd-pullers, so don't forget to try these out while you're there.
Read on to find out more about the gems found in the beautiful territory of Daman.
Essential travel information and Daman tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC + 05:30
- Currency: Indian National Rupee
- Electricity and Internet: 220-240 Volts of electricity output. 3G mobile services are available in Daman. High speed Broadband services are available at most of the hotels.
- Languages: Gujarati, Marathi, Hindi and English are mainly spoken in Daman.
- Tipping: Tipping is appreciated in Daman, but it isn't mandatory.
- Customs: Since it is a conservative region, dress appropriately. Loose clothes that are suitable for the climate are fine, but avoid very revealing outfits.
- Director of Medical and Health: +91260 2230470
- Government Hospital, Marwad: +91260 2254266
- Shree Shakti Krupa Ambulance Service: +91 9913338799
- Police Hotline: 100
- Fire Officer: +91260 2242666
Daman Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Daman. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Daman trip planner.