Ghum Monastery2471 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Hill Cart Rd, Ghoom, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734102, India Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9832424705
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
Popularly known as ’ Yiga Choeling Monastery’, Ghoom Monastery is located about 800 ft above the sea level at Ghoom. It is more or less 8 kms away from the Darjeeling town and the monastery includes the Gelug School, exercising the Tibetan rituals. Buddhism is the main religion that is being practiced in this part of the world. Inside the monastery, there is a fifteen feet statue of Gautama Buddha is known as "Maitreya Buddha". Sherab Gyatso in 1875 had built the monastery.
The monks provide a teaching environment to the students. flying the prayer flags is their popular tradition. The atmosphere inside the monastery is very peaceful, and the chants that are being sung in the background by the monks are very soothing. Souvenirs are also available inside the monastery. It has some rare Buddhist manuscripts which can help people gain their spiritual peace. There are very attractive hotels which surround the monastery. Therefore tourists love to be in the monastery very often.
There are shops for daily necessities and the monks provide serenity and peace to their disciples. The monastery has a huge number of trees around it, making the adjoining atmosphere clear of pollution. The number of wells is also attractive. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Darjeeling itinerary 1 day.
Ghum Monastery Travel Tips
- The boundaries and shrines of the premises are adorned with prayer flags depicting the traditions and culture of Tibet.
Entrance Ticket Details For Ghum Monastery
- May charge you for photos as well as taking videos.
How to Reach Ghum Monastery
- It is a ten minute walk from the Ghoom station.
- Pizza Place
- Danfay Munal
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Darjeeling before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Darjeeling and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Ghum Monastery Address: Hill Cart Rd, Ghoom, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734102, India
- Ghum Monastery Contact Number: +91-9832424705
- Ghum Monastery Timing: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Best time to visit Ghum Monastery(preferred time): 10:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Time required to visit Ghum Monastery: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
49.89% of people who visit Darjeeling include Ghum Monastery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
50.43% of people start their Ghum Monastery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Ghum Monastery
92.44% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ghum Monastery
People normally club together Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park and Tiger Hill while planning their visit to Ghum Monastery.