Forest Research InstituteCurrently Open
- Address: P.O. - New Forest, Forest Research Institute, Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248006
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-1352756160
- Ticket Price: 15 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Educational Site, Family And Kids
The Forest Research Institute, also known as The Imperial Forest Research Institute was established in 1906 to organize and take off forestry research programs in India. It was originally founded by Dietrich Brandis under the British School of Forestry.
The rare Greco- Roman style of architecture makes it even more stunning and gives it that classic look. It is a structure made of red bricks is a classic style with Mughal style towers as a fusion to the former. The arches and Roman columns that form patterns of quadrangles with cloistered corners just look perfectly designed. The architecture is a complete combination of various Indo-Western styles.
There are six vast halls with displays of Indian Forestry that look like remnants from a school fair. The whole museum consists of six sections of pathology, Social Forestry, Silviculture, Timber, Non-Wood Forest Products and Entemology. The major attractions here are the fantastic paintings by Afshan Zaidi of beautiful animals, birds and plants. The other objects worth admiring are the exhibits on medicinal uses of plants and the unique cross-section of a 700 year old Deodar tree.
Forest Research Institute Travel Tips
- The timings are given only for entry to the museum. Entry to the main institution is restricted.
- Parking of vehicles requires a nominal fee.
Entrance Ticket Details For Forest Research Institute
- Guide fee is 25.00 INR extra.
Forest Research Institute Hours
- Museum is closed on weekends.
- No tours between 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm.
How to Reach Forest Research Institute
- Nearest railway station is Dehradun.
- Nearest airport is Dehradun.
- Naveen Foods
- 7 Eleven
- Radhaswami Vegetarian Restaurant
- Doon Sweets
- Goyal Sweets
- Chicken Point
- Nanking Restaurant
- Lhasa Restaurant
- Kumar Vegetarian Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dehradun before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dehradun and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Dehradun include Forest Research Institute in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
61.76% of people start their Forest Research Institute visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Forest Research Institute
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Forest Research Institute