Mindrolling Monastery2202 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 3, Budha Temple Rd, New Basti, Clement Town, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248002, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-1352640968
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
The Mindrolling Monastery is one among the 6 major monasteries of the Nyingma School in Tibet. It was founded by Rigzin Terdak Lingpa in 1676. The Mindrolling Monastery in India was re-established by Khochhen Rinpoche and a small group of monks in the Clement Town of Dehradun in 1965. It also consists of the Ngagyur Nyingma College, which is one of the largest Buddhist Institutes in the country.
Not only is this monastery famous for its spiritual significance but is also a piece of architectural masterpiece. Everything about this monastery seems unnaturally beautiful starting from the large area, beautiful gardens, the large university complex and most importantly the tallest Stupa in Asia. This shrine was inaugurated in 2002 and is of 5-storey. It contains of many shrine rooms, murals and Tibetian art forms. The most eye-catching feature here is the tall golden statue of Buddha heading over the monastery, which is said to be a dedication to the great Dalai Lama. There is a huge stretch of lush green gardens that circles this majestic shrine. The frontage of the Stupa has the two forms of Lord Buddha painted on it- the Maitreya or the future form and the Shakyamuni or the present form. Many sacred remnants are also found here.
The Mindrolling lineage has other monasteries in Kalimpong, Delhi, Taipei, Chang Hua, Taichung City and Kaohsing City.
Mindrolling Monastery Travel Tips
- The main temple is opened to visitors only on Sundays.
- Foreigners are allowed to stay in the Clement Town overnight according to the new Government regulation. So it is better you travel early.
- The outer complex, shrine and market is opened all days of the week.
- Footwear is allowed inside the complex but not inside the main temple.
- The prayer sessions are a visual treat. It would be even better if you attend one. It will give you immense peace of mind.
- DO NOT touch the arts and murals inside the shrine.
- DO NOT touch any plant or flower in the garden. You can admire the beauty from close enough but without touching.
- Other contact number is +91 135 2640968.
How to Reach Mindrolling Monastery
- The nearest bus stands are the Dehradun Main Bus depot and the Subhash Nagar Bus Depot.
- The nearest railway stations are Dehradun and Harrawala.
- Chicken Point
- Nanking Restaurant
- Yeti Restaurant
- Kumar Vegetarian & South Indian Restaurant
- Lhasa Restaurant
- Tirupati Balaji Vegetarian Restaurant
- Goyal Sweets
- Doon Sweets
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dehradun before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dehradun and book an accommodation of your choice.
86.15% of people who visit Dehradun include Mindrolling Monastery in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
27.88% of people start their Mindrolling Monastery visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Mindrolling Monastery
93.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mindrolling Monastery