Ram Rai Darbar1650 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Darbar Shri Guru Ram Rai Ji Maharaj, Jhanda Moholla, Dehradun- 248001, Uttarakhand, India Map
- Timings: 05:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9672788527
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Monument, Architecture
This can be considered as the most important place of the Doon Valley. The name of the valley itself has a link with this place. History says that, Shri Guru Ram Rai Ji, the son of the seventh Guru Shri Har Rai ji set up his camp here in the 17th century. It is called ‘dera’, which means set up in the valleys, meaning ‘doon’. Thus, the name Deradun, which was later on, converted into Dehradun.
It is known that the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb was very pleased with the charm of Shri Guru Ram Rai Sahib and ordered his officials to extend all held needed to him. Initially just a gurudwara was built in Dhamawala. This beautiful present day building was built in the early 18th century.
There are many portraits of various gods and goddesses in this holy place. Not only are there symbols of the Sikhs, but of all other religions. This is a symbol of harmony and religious tolerance followed by the Sikhs. There are other inscriptions and paintings of other holy people, sages and religious books and epics on the walls of this lovely gurudwara. There are pretty paintings of flowers, trees and birds. The most striking feature are the paintings of similar faces with tipped noses and big eyes which depict the color and art scheme of Kangra-Guler and Mughals. The high towers and minarets are the traditional forms of Muslim architecture.
Another stunning feature of this whole place is the big lake or pond which had once dried up and had become a dumping zone, has now been renovated and revived. This place is one bathing destination for the pilgrims who visit the gurudwara.
The gurudwara trust is one of the largest philanthropic societies here who work towards proper health, education and living for the local people. There is something else also that will definitely catch your eye here. It is the huge langarkhana or the eating room where food is served to 1000 of pilgrims who come to the shelter of god every day.
Ram Rai Darbar Travel Tips
- Open your footwear before entering the gurudwara.
- Cover your head when you enter the gurudwara.
- An early morning visit is the best to give you a lot of freshness due to the calm ambience.
How to Reach Ram Rai Darbar
- Nearest airport is at Jolly Grant.
- Nearest railway station is Dehradun.
- Chicken Point
- Nanking Restaurant
- Yeti Restaurant
- Kumar Vegetarian & South Indian Restaurant
- Lhasa Restaurant
- Tirupati Balaji Vegetarian Restaurant
- Goyal Sweets
- Doon Sweets
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dehradun before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dehradun and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Ram Rai Darbar Address: Darbar Shri Guru Ram Rai Ji Maharaj, Jhanda Moholla, Dehradun- 248001, Uttarakhand, India
- Ram Rai Darbar Contact Number: +91-9672788527
- Ram Rai Darbar Timing: 05:00 am - 08:00 pm
- Best time to visit Ram Rai Darbar(preferred time): 06:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Ram Rai Darbar: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
84.23% of people who visit Dehradun include Ram Rai Darbar in their plan
61.22% of people start their Ram Rai Darbar visit around 08 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Ram Rai Darbar
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ram Rai Darbar
People normally club together Wadia Institute Of Himalayan Geology and Forest Research Institute while planning their visit to Ram Rai Darbar.
People also prefer to start their day with Ram Rai Darbar.