The Kalinga War MemorialCurrently Open
- Address: Sahastradhara Road, Dehradun, Uttarakhand- 248001, India Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9412998507
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Historical Site, War Memorial
The Kalinga War Memorial is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Dehradun. This place is stressed as a must visit by the Uttarakhand government. It is a heritage site.
This place is unique, given the reason behind its construction. In 1814, when there was war between the Gurkhas and the English army, the Gurkhas guarded the Nalapani Fort for 6 long weeks bearing and surviving through all the barriers put in front of them. They even survived without a drop of water. Finally, the British defeated them. But, the English were so impresses with the valour and dedication of the Gurkhas that they decided to honour them by giving them positions in their army.
This War Memorial is the one and only example to see how an opponent can honour an enemy. This memorial was built by the British after the war of 1814 – 1815, dedicated to the Gurkha Gentry. It is the pride of the Gurkhas.
This place still gives you the essence of the courage and spirit of those brave hearts who lost their lives protecting their regiment. You will not be able to turn back without paying one salute to the warriors.
The Kalinga War Memorial Travel Tips
- It is an ideal place to visit at anytime throughout the year.
- It is very well connected to all road networks.
- Other contact number is +91 1352653217.
How to Reach The Kalinga War Memorial
- Nearest airport is at Dehradun.
- Nearest railway station is Dehradun.
- Uttar Sweets
- Milan The 21st century Restaurant
- Grand Confectionary
- Orchid, Town Table
- Countable Restaurant
- Angithi, Vatika
- Chicken Hut Duck Chick Grand Restaurant
- Sagar Ratna
- Anandpuri Sweets
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dehradun before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dehradun and book an accommodation of your choice.
- The Kalinga War Memorial Address: Sahastradhara Road, Dehradun, Uttarakhand- 248001, India
- The Kalinga War Memorial Contact Number: +91-9412998507
- The Kalinga War Memorial Timing: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Best time to visit The Kalinga War Memorial(preferred time): 10:00 am - 03:00 pm
- Time required to visit The Kalinga War Memorial: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
36.4% of people who visit Dehradun include The Kalinga War Memorial in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
52.38% of people start their The Kalinga War Memorial visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see The Kalinga War Memorial
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Kalinga War Memorial
People normally club together Robber's Cave and Tapkeshwar Temple while planning their visit to The Kalinga War Memorial.