Old Fort3312 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Mathura Rd, Near Delhi Zoo, New Delhi, Delhi 110003, India Map
- Timings: 07:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +9111-23365358
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Library, Historical Site, Architecture , Fort
The Purana Quila or the Old Fort is a beautiful relic of the Mughal past in India. It lives up to its name and it has been recently discovered that the area on which it has been built has been inhabited since as early as 1000 BC. It is certainly the oldest of the Mughal forts. It might be that it was built nearly 5000 years ago long before the Mughals. It was Babur and Sher Shah Suri who started to renovate it.
Intricate carvings in the stone, which are typical characteristics of the Muslim architecture in India, are a wonderful sight to see. The Building of Humayun’s private library is also housed within the Purana Quila. But while the style is largely Mughal, there appear to be quite a few Rajasthani influences on the making of the Qila as well. This very eclectic mix of cultures is extremely interesting to see.
There is also a picturesque lake right outside the old fort. The place is a reminder of several eras of a glorious past all rolled into one. A definite delight for the history lover as well as culture seeker!
Old Fort Travel Tips
- Purana Quila is a perfect place to visit for engraving an image of Indian history, legacy and supremacy on the walls of your memory lane.
Entrance Ticket Details For Old Fort
- Rs.5 Person (Indians Residence)
- Rs.100 Per Person (Foreigners Residence) and Rs.25 (Videography).
How to Reach Old Fort
- Nearest Metro Station: Pragati Maidan
- Bong Route
- Plaza Neon
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Delhi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Delhi and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Old Fort Address: Mathura Rd, Near Delhi Zoo, New Delhi, Delhi 110003, India
- Old Fort Contact Number: +9111-23365358
- Old Fort Timing: 07:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Old Fort Price: 5 INR
- Best time to visit Old Fort(preferred time): 03:00 pm - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Old Fort: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
19.82% of people who visit Delhi include Old Fort in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
54.48% of people start their Old Fort visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Old Fort
93.6% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Old Fort
People normally club together Humayun Tomb and India Gate And Rajpath while planning their visit to Old Fort.