Visit Delphi - Best of Delphi
In Ancient Greece, it was believed that Delphi, nestled at the foot of the Mt. Parnassos was the centre of the world. The world’s most famous oracle resided here. It’s said the god Apollo himself led the Cretan to Delphi, accompanying their ships as a dolphin, after he’d killed the legendary Python that guarded it.
But there’s a sign of human presence here long before the Cretes arrived. The Korykeion Andron, a cave in the mountain, revealed the Neolithic remains here. Later, a Mycenaean settlement and cemetery was discovered. In 8th century BC, the cult of Apollo developed the sanctuary and Oracle, followed by temples of Apollo and Athena. Ruled by the tribal coalition known as the Amphictyonic League for two hundred years, Delphi fought for freedom, and later became the most famous Oracle of the time.
Then came the wars. The Aetolians and the Romans conquered Delphi in their times. Delphi was briefly integrated into the burgeoning Christian sect, but destroyed by the Christian Roman emperor Theodosius I in the 3rd Century AD. A village grew over the site. It wasn’t until the 19th century that Delphi was rediscovered. Maintained today by the Greek Archaeological Service and the French School at Athens, Delphi has become an indispensable item on tourist vacation itinerary planners, especially for any with an interest in ancient history.
Delphi Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Delphi tips for your visit
- UTC/GMT -5 hours (Eastern Standard Time)
- Daylight saving time: +1 hour
- Voltage: 230 V
- Frequency: 50 Hz
- Power sockets: type F. Will work with plug types C and E.
- Common Languages: Greek, English, German, French, Spanish, and Italian.
- Reagional Laguages: Cretan, Cappadocian, Pontic, Maniot, Tsakonian, Yevanic.
- Minority Languages: Turkish, Macedonian, Albanian (Arvanitika) and (Standard Albanian), Romani, Bulgarian, Armenian, Aromanian, Ladino.
- Internet: Most hotels and some restaurants have Wi-Fi.
- Currency: EUR (euro)
- Security: Police:100, Ambulance: 166, Fire Brigade:199, Coast Guard: 108, Forest Fire: 191 and European Emergency service: 112
- Off-Beaten Path: During winter the nearby town of Arachnova is a popular ski resort.
- Tipping: Rounding off the payment amount (for example, paying EUR 10 for a EUR 9.20 bill) is enough. Ask to see if restaurants allow staff to keep tips.
Completely safe. Take standard travel precautions.
Travel to Delphi- Know before you go to Delphi
Facts and Stats for Delphi*
Living in Delphi - Quality of Life
Climate Index 91.84 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Delphi
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Delphi
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.41 USD
International Movie per seat 8.22 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 36.08 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 89.04 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 82.19 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Attractions in Delphi
Delphi Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of
Delphi Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Delphi
New on TripHobo Duration: 2 Days
A chance to explore the navel of earth, with the best guidance that one can have. You will visit the spiritual sites of Greec..
USD 294.55Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 11:00 Hrs
This tour will commence from Athens, taking you to Delphi. There are gorgeous archaeological sites to be visited, on a privat..
USD 157.59Book Now