Ruins Of Delphi, Delphi
About Ruins Of Delphi, Delphi
Ruins Of Delphi, Delphi - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Delphi , Greece
Ticket Price: 9 EUR
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 8.7K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
From the main entrance at Delphi, you walk along the Sacred Way. You’ll see the following most important sights:
- The Doric Temple of Apollo: This is at the very centre of Delphi. It was where Pythia, the famous oracle, resided, and from where she’d speak her prophesies that were to be translated by priests.
- The Theatre: Built in the 4th century BC.
- Treasuries: Votive statues and treasuries were built to thank the Oracle for her advice. The Athenina Treasury is the most famous, built in thanks for and in memory of Athenians' victory at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Other treasuries are from the Sikyonians, the Boeotians, the Thebans, the Argives, and the Siphnians.
- Altar of the Chians: Blac marble altar built and paid for by Chios.
- Stoa of the Athenians: A beautiful portico built to house the Athenian war trophies acquire by defeated the Persian navies.
- Sibyl rock: Where ancient prophetesses before Pythia delivered their prophecies from.
- Theatre: With great views of the sanctuary and the valley, it could seat 5000 spectators.
- Tholos: A circular building of 20 Doric columns.
- Gymnasium: Consisted of a stoa, a palaestra (wrestling ring), a pool and a bath. The waters were supposed to have miraculous healing powers.
- There were also many statues all around the site, mostly athletic, such as the Charioteer of Delphi (now housed in the museum), and the statues of Kleobis and Biton.
Ruins Of Delphi Information
- Sources about opening hours are inconsistent; please call ahead to verify visiting times.
Ruins Of Delphi Opening and Closing Hours
- EUR 5 for reduced categories. Ask to see if you apply.
How To reach Ruins Of Delphi by Public Transport
- You can walk to the ruins from the town.
- Take a taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Delphi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Delphi and book an accommodation of your choice.