Ruins Of DelphiCurrently Closed
- Address: Delphi , Greece
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +30-2265082312
- Ticket Price: 9 EUR
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Archaeological Site
Ruins Of Delphi - Review
From the main entrance at Delphi, you walk along the Sacred Way. You’ll see the following most important sights:
- The Doric Temple of Apollo: This is at the very centre of Delphi. It was where Pythia, the famous oracle, resided, and from where she’d speak her prophesies that were to be translated by priests.
- The Theatre: Built in the 4th century BC.
- Treasuries: Votive statues and treasuries were built to thank the Oracle for her advice. The Athenina Treasury is the most famous, built in thanks for and in memory of Athenians' victory at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Other treasuries are from the Sikyonians, the Boeotians, the Thebans, the Argives, and the Siphnians.
- Altar of the Chians: Blac marble altar built and paid for by Chios.
- Stoa of the Athenians: A beautiful portico built to house the Athenian war trophies acquire by defeated the Persian navies.
- Sibyl rock: Where ancient prophetesses before Pythia delivered their prophecies from.
- Theatre: With great views of the sanctuary and the valley, it could seat 5000 spectators.
- Tholos: A circular building of 20 Doric columns.
- Gymnasium: Consisted of a stoa, a palaestra (wrestling ring), a pool and a bath. The waters were supposed to have miraculous healing powers.
- There were also many statues all around the site, mostly athletic, such as the Charioteer of Delphi (now housed in the museum), and the statues of Kleobis and Biton.
Ruins Of Delphi Information
- Sources about opening hours are inconsistent; please call ahead to verify visiting times.
Ruins Of Delphi Hours
- EUR 5 for reduced categories. Ask to see if you apply.
How To reach Ruins Of Delphi by Public Transport
- You can walk to the ruins from the town.
- Take a taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Delphi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Delphi and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Ruins Of Delphi
95% of people who visit Delphi include Ruins Of Delphi in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
53.01% of people start their Ruins Of Delphi visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Ruins Of Delphi
92.75% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ruins Of Delphi
Ruins Of Delphi Trips
3 Views9 Days 8 Nights9 Day Trip to Paris, Athens, Delphi from HyderabadBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Paris, Athens, Delphi
1 View12 Days 11 Nights12 Day Trip to Athens, Delphi, Santorini, Crete from BangkokBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Athens, Delphi, Crete, Santorini